Reminder for Restricted Water Plumber Electrical licence holders

This is an important reminder for licensees who hold a Restricted Water Plumber – Electrical (RWP-E) licence to only work within the scope of their licence.

In accordance with the Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2003 Act, the holder of a RWP-E Licence cannot install a tempering valve. This work must be performed by a licensed plumber.

A RWP-E licensee cannot perform any plumbing and drainage work outside of disconnecting and connecting water plumbing associated with replacing an electrical resistance hot water heater including installing/replacing tempering valves.

The Plumbing Code of Australia requires a tempering valve to be installed when an existing hot water heater is replaced or a new hot water heater is installed. RWP-E licensees must therefore engage an appropriately licensed plumber to undertake plumbing work.