Completed Residential Building Inspection
Download this scope of work – Completed Residential Building Inspection (PDF)
Scope of work
- Inspection of a completed building, including an inspection and preparation of a report in accordance with Australian Standard 4349.1 'Inspection of Buildings-Property Inspections-Residential buildings'.
Completion of an "approved completed building inspectors course", and:
- a current licence in one of the following licence classes:
- builder low rise
- builder medium rise
- builder open, or
- accreditation as a building surveyor, assistant building surveyor or building surveyor technician by the Australian Institute of Building Surveyors ACN 004 540 836, or
- accreditation the commission considers to be equivalent to the accreditation of the Institute.
In this section an "approved completed building inspectors course" is provided by a registered training organisation (RTO) and contains the following subjects, or subjects the commission considers equivalent:
- customer service skills
- effective communication
- report writing
- pre-inspection considerations
- site inspection procedures and techniques
- contracts and the building legislation in Queensland
- Building Code of Australia and Australian Standards
- Workplace Health and Safety
- QBCC dispute procedures and insurance and legal implications.
You need five years experience in the scope of work for:
- builder low rise, medium rise, or open licence, or
- building surveyor, assistant building surveyor, or building surveyor technician.
The relevant financial requirements in the board’s policies.
- Interstate Applicants – may be eligible to obtain a licence through mutual recognition
- Overseas Applicants – may have to have an overseas qualification assessed for equivalency prior to applying.
Professional Indemnity Insurance
Professional Indemnity Insurance is required for this licence class.
Registered Training Organisations (RTOs)
- apprenticeship papers
- documentation showing you successfully completed the appropriate course for this licence class
- documentation showing you successfully completed an equivalent course for this licence class (e.g. similar modules)
- recognition certificate
- a qualification of statement of attainment of the required competency for the licence class.
Recognition of prior learning
If you do not hold a formal technical qualification, you may be able to obtain it through recognition of prior learning (RPL) by a Registered Training Organisation (RTO). The following RTOs may be able to provide RPL services for this licence class.