Apply for a licence
Apply for a building designer or hydraulic services design licence
Before you apply
See the building design and hydraulic services design scopes of work to find out the requirements for the different types of licence.
How to apply
- details of 2 years' experience where you carried out design work covered in the relevant scope of work. Please include the class, size, number of storeys and type of construction
- documents showing you hold the technical qualification required for the licence class (e.g. Certificate IV, Diploma, skills recognition certificate). If you don’t hold the technical qualifications please refer to Recognition of Prior Learning for further information
- three referees (names and contact numbers) to confirm your experience
- proof of identity (e.g. a certified copy of your driver’s licence or passport)
- financial information that shows you meet the Minimum Financial Requirements (PDF). This includes proof of Professional Indemnity (PI) insurance cover. Applicants for a building design licence may not need to provide financial information – see Who is exempt from financial reporting for more details. Nominee Supervisor applicants don’t need to provide financial information
- if contracting under a trading name – a current copy of your Record of Registration from the Australian Securities and Investment Commission
- if contracting under a partnership – proof of the business partnership or an original or certified copy of the Statutory Declaration for a Partnership Agreement (PDF)
If you already hold a QBCC licence
If you are applying for an additional licence class, you don’t need to provide a copy of any supporting documentation you’ve previously given us, unless you need to update that information (e.g. proof of identity, trading name or financial information).
Re-applying for a licence
If you've previously held a licence and you want to re-apply, find out about your options - Renew, update or surrender your licence
What are the fees?
The fee is determined by your revenue and there are different financial categories:
- Supervisor – financial information is not required
- SC1 – $200,000 Declaration or Estimated Maximum Revenue declaration (Maximum Revenue up to $200,000)
- SC2 – $600,000 Declaration or Estimated Maximum Revenue declaration (Maximum Revenue up to $600,000)
- Category 1–7 - MFR Report
Check the current licence application fees.
How to lodge your application
Lodge your completed application form with the supporting documents and correct application fee:
- by post, to GPO Box 5099, Brisbane QLD 4001 (please provide copies of original documents unless we request otherwise)
- in person at your nearest QBCC office.
How long will it take to be processed?
We will take approximately 6–8 weeks to process your application. This includes checks to confirm you are a fit and proper person to hold a licence.
After you've applied
If your licence is approved, you'll receive a letter with your licence number and scope of work for the licence class.
- Can I start work before my licence is approved?
No. Carrying out building work or providing quotes or tenders before you get your licence is unlicensed contracting.
- What if I hold a licence in another state?
You may be entitled to use the mutual recognition process to apply.