Plumbing and Drainage
Download this scope of work – Plumbing and Drainage (PDF)
Note: If you are supervising or performing regulated plumbing and drainage work, you must hold an occupational plumbers and drainers licence under the Plumbing and Drainage Act 2002. For more information see plumber and drainer - occupational.
Scope of work
- Installing, commissioning, maintaining and testing plumbing and drainage services in all classes of buildings and premises, including but not limited to, the following:
- compressed air, heating, steam, vacuum or ventilation systems
- metal fascias and gutters
- on-site domestic waste water management systems
- roof and wall cladding
- fire hydrants, with or without pumps
- fire hose reels, with or without pumps
- Prepare plans and specifications for plumbing and drainage work if the plans and specifications are:
- for the licensee's personal use, or
- for use in plumbing and drainage work to be performed by the licensee personally
- Incidental work of another class.
- Successful completion of Certificate III in Plumbing CPC32413 or Certificate III in Plumbing (Mechanical Services) (with sanitary stream completed) CPC32513, plus the following units of competency from the Certificate IV in Plumbing and Services CPC40912:
- CPCPCM4011A - Carry out work-based risk control processes
- CPCPCM4012A - Estimate and cost work
- CPCPDR4011B - Design and size sanitary drainage systems
- CPCPDR4012B - Design and size stormwater drainage systems
- CPCPDR4013B - Design and size domestic treatment plant disposal systems
- CPCPSN4011B - Design and size sanitary plumbing systems
- CPCPWT4011B - Design and size heated and cold water services and systems
- BSBSMB401 - Establish legal and risk management requirements of small business*
successful completion of a course the commission considers is at least equivalent to the one above.
Completion of the approved managerial course.
Note: Completion of the course Establish legal and risk management requirements of small business BSBSMB401, which is one of the required courses in the Certificate IV Plumbing and Services, will meet this requirement.
The relevant financial requirements in the board’s policies.
You can apply for this licence class as a:
- Interstate Applicants – may be eligible to obtain a licence through Mutual Recognition
- Overseas Applicants – may have to have an overseas qualification assessed for equivalency prior to applying.
Registered Training Organisations (RTO)
Registered Training Organisations issue formal qualifications to people who successfully complete training. Please note that the RTO list is a guide only and subject to change. We strive to ensure that the information contained is accurate and up-to-date. Other qualifications can be:
- apprenticeship papers
- documentation showing you successfully completed the appropriate course for this licence class
- documentation showing you successfully completed an equivalent course for this licence class (e.g. similar modules)
- recognition certificate
- a qualification of statement of attainment of the required competency issued by an approved authority for the licence class.
Recognition of prior learning
If you do not hold a formal technical qualification, you may be able to obtain it through recognition of prior learning (RPL) by a Registered Training Organisation (RTO). The following RTOs may be able to provide RPL services for this licence class.