When we can and can't help
When we can help
If your contractor doesn't want to fix work which you believe is defective after your contract is complete, we may be able to help. For us to assist you, your complaint needs to satisfy the following:
- Your contract needs to be for building work which includes things like:
- Building a new house, duplex or unit complex
- Renovations, repairs, extensions or additions to a house, duplex or unit complex
- Swimming pools, pergolas, carports, garages or structural landscaping
- Trade work including carpentry, tiling, painting, waterproofing
- Commercial or industrial construction or renovation
- The value of the contract needs to be more than $3,300 in value, including labour, materials and GST
- If you're making a complaint about hydraulic design work, the contract value only needs to be more than $1,100, including labour, materials and GST
- If the complaint is about plumbing, drainage, gas fitting, chemical termite management, building design, site classification, fire protection and completed residential building inspections, your contract can be of any value
- You need to lodge your complaint within the correct statutory timeframes.
The Queensland Building and Construction Commission Act 1991 – Schedule 2 outlines the full list of work we can help with.
Can I get help if my contract is still active?
Yes, if the work is still being carried out, or there are outstanding payments owing to the contractor, our Early Dispute Resolution process may be able to help you.
When we can't help
If your complaint doesn't meet these requirements, we can't help, nor can we help with the following:
- complaints about electrical work. Contact the Electrical Safety Office
- when you can't identify the contractor responsible for the work
- complaints about meeting contract conditions or payment disputes. Please refer to QCAT's Building Disputes page for more information.
- your complaint is lodged outside of the statutory timeframes
The Queensland Building and Construction Commission Regulation 2018 – Schedule 1 outlines the full list of work we can't help with.