Get your hot water system serviced

Regardless of whether you are a property owner or tenant, you need to be aware that hot water systems require regular, routine maintenance.

As a property owner, it is your responsibility to check the owner’s manual to find out how often you should have your hot water system serviced.

When you engage someone to do plumbing and drainage work on your property, which includes servicing a hot water system, you should always contract with a licensed plumber.

In Queensland, all plumbing and drainage work must legally be carried out by a licensed plumber (or a plumbing apprentice supervised by a licensed plumber), regardless of value.

Your licensed plumber may advise you to release the temperature pressure-relief valve at regular intervals to maintain proper functioning of the valve as part of your hot water system.

Operating the easing lever on the valve, as per the owner’s manual or manufacturer’s instructions, assists in ensuring the valve operates freely. This minor maintenance activity also helps flush metal ions that may build up in the water close to the valve.

Make sure you review the owner’s manual before releasing the valve to ensure you do this safely, as there is potentially a risk of scalding when releasing the valve.