Tradie Talk

Certifiers need to maintain vigilance when assessing the suitability of building systems

QBCC inspector writing in folder

The QBCC has recently addressed concerns about fire-rated wall systems, in particular, a national manufacturer who referred to their system as having CodeMark when the system had no current CodeMark accreditation.

Following the QBCC’s intervention, the manufacturer voluntarily removed the CodeMark reference and logo from their publications.

Ensure you meet your administrative requirements when re-roofing

Roof of house

QBCC Inspectors have identified an issue with re-roofing work, with contractors failing to ensure payment of Home Warranty Scheme premiums and failing to obtain a valid Building Approval.

QBCC Commissioner, Brett Bassett, has reminded contractors that they must comply with relevant standards and building codes.

Mr Bassett said the issues relating to re-roofing work had become evident during proactive inspections of construction work by QBCC Technical Standards Unit officers.


No complacency when it comes to electrical safety

Electrical risks in ceiling spaces

The recent electrical shock of a plumber in the Cairns area is a reminder to all plumbers and contractors about the need to be vigilant when it comes to electrical safety.

In this instance, the plumber was about to enter the ceiling space of a property after he had removed a section of the roof.

He dropped a tool into the ceiling space and while trying to retrieve it, appears to have come into contact with exposed electrical wires.

Electricians do not require a QBCC licence to install smoke alarms

There has been some confusion in recent times about whether electricians need a QBCC licence to install smoke alarms.

Electricians involved in building and construction work are responsible for installing a variety of electrical services in all types of buildings, and these services can include smoke alarms.

Therefore, it is important to be aware that electricians do not require a QBCC licence to install smoke alarms in buildings. Electricians are licensed by the Electrical Safety Office.

Reminder for Restricted Water Plumber Electrical licence holders

This is an important reminder for licensees who hold a Restricted Water Plumber – Electrical (RWP-E) licence to only work within the scope of their licence.

In accordance with the Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2003 Act, the holder of a RWP-E Licence cannot install a tempering valve. This work must be performed by a licensed plumber.

Compliance assessable work requires a Form 1 and not a Form 4

Foot prints on construction site

The Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC) would like to remind plumbing and drainage licensees that compliance assessable work requires a Form 1 to be lodged with the relevant local authority.

Notifiable work Form 4s and Form 4As are not to be lodged for compliance assessable work.

Compliance assessable work is considered to be more complex and requires a compliance permit from local government before starting work.

Get construction sites ready for storm season

Get ready for storm season

Storm season is on its way! We urge all licensed contractors to prepare your building sites for potential severe weather conditions.

We strongly suggest taking precautions on your worksites to avoid the risk of injury, damage and costs associated with storms and cyclones.

It's a good idea to:

Maintenance of hot water systems

Hot water system

A joint investigation by the QBCC and Queensland Health has revealed that home owners are often not aware that hot water systems need to be serviced regularly.

Plumbers should remind home owners that it is generally recommended for hot water systems to be serviced by an appropriately licensed individual. Where the source water for the system is not a potable, reticulated source, the system may need to be serviced more frequently.