Tradie Talk

When to lodge a Form 4A – NW for public sector entities

Inspector pointing to a pipe

When carrying out plumbing and/or drainage work for a public sector entity (for example, local government), the licensee would usually lodge a Form 4A – Notifiable work for public sector entity.

Form 4A is similar to Form 4 – Notifiable work but includes additional fields for the name, contact name, and contact details for the public sector entity.

A career in plumbing – it’s more than just pipes

From a luxury hotel on the Gold Coast to a large-scale mining project in the Queensland outback, plumbers can find work anywhere.

They work with water, gas, welding, electrical, and solar industries.

So if you think you’ve got what it takes to be a plumber, why not take a TAFE Queensland plumbing course and/or do an apprenticeship? 

More information about plumbing and other trades is available at TAFE Queensland SkillsTech.


PSIs must provide accurate information

Pool and fence

As the 30 November deadline for a single pool safety standard approaches, the QBCC anticipates an increase in demand for the services of pool safety inspectors (PSIs). 

The QBCC is promoting the pool safety message but pool owners might also become aware of their obligations through the advertising activities of their local PSIs.

Home owners may engage the services of PSIs for advice on how to comply with the pool safety standard and it is important to get the correct information.


QBCC hosts SA plumbing regulator

Plumbers talking

Two officers from South Australia’s Office of the Technical Regulator – Plumbing visited Brisbane recently for the Australian Building Codes Board (ABCB) meeting, and took the opportunity to talk plumbing regulation and work standards with the QBCC.

We took the opportunity to show the SA team how plumbing regulations are implemented in Queensland, which included a visit to Moreton Bay Council.

PSIs must provide pool safety certificates to owners

There have been some complaints from pool owners that the pool safety inspector (PSI) has withheld their pool safety certificate pending payment of their inspection or re-inspection fee.

It is a strict requirement that the PSI provides the pool safety certificate within two business days of inspecting the pool and finding it compliant.

A PSI must supply the certificate to the pool owner, regardless of any contractual issues the PSI might have regarding payment of fees.


Use adjudication to get help getting paid

Tradesman on a building site

We now have a new step-by-step guide on how to recover progress payments under $750,000 (excluding GST), by using the Building and Construction Industry Payments Act 2004 (BCIPA).

The BCIPA Guide is a useful online tool explaining how to use adjudication to help you get paid.

The guide also features a business-day calculator to help you determine when to send notices, as well as useful links to the documents you may need during the process.

Go to the QBCC BCIPA Guide.


Beneath the surface of concrete swimming pools

Concrete pool

The biggest problem that seems to occur with concrete swimming pools is the de-bonding of the plaster lining from the pool shell.

The reason for this defect is usually due to defective construction, including inadequate application of the pool lining.

The Australian Standard governing concrete swimming pools is AS 2783-1992: Use of reinforced concrete for small swimming pools. It sets out the basic requirements for the design and construction of a pool, and is worth a read if you’re in the construction business.