Apply for a licence
Moving from overseas
If you want to work in the construction industry in Queensland and need to get a licence, you’ll have to hold an Australian qualification to meet our technical qualification requirement.
If you have a licence in New Zealand, you may be able to apply through the Mutual Recognition process.
How to apply
If you are a plumber and drainer, please see 'How to apply - for plumbers and drainers migrating from overseas' below.
- Choose your licence class. Each licence class outlines the scope of work, qualifications and experience requirements.
- Get your qualification/s recognised or assessed. If you have a qualification that you think may be equivalent to the one listed for your licence class, you may be able to get it recognised or may already meet requirements. The following organisations may assist you:
- Recognition of prior learning - This process allows you to have your overseas skills and experience assessed
- Professional organisation membership -If you hold a post-trade overseas qualification (Diploma, Degree, etc.) and you are a member of a professional organisation (RICS, CIOB, EA etc. in Australia or overseas), you may meet the technical qualifications for a licence. Please contact us for further information.
- Overseas trade assessment bodies - If you are still living overseas, a registered training organisation may be able to assess and recognise your qualification in certain trades in your home country. Find out which assessment body can recognise your trade.
- Apply for a licence - find out more detail about the application process and download a form.
How to apply - for plumbers and drainers migrating from overseas
For an overseas applicant to apply for a licence as a plumber and drainer (or both at the same time), please provide the following:
- Form 21 Application for a new licence and/or endorsement (PDF); and
- Form 33 Declaration of plumbing qualifications and experience (PDF); and
- Form 34 Declaration of drainage qualification and experience (PDF); and
- Fee (see schedule); and
- All technical and trade qualifications; and
- A certified copy of your Passport and Visa
If you previously held a plumbing licence but let it lapse because you were overseas, reapply by sending in Form 21 and fee (see schedule).