Apply for a licence
Moving from overseas
If you want to work in the construction industry in Queensland and need to get a licence, you’ll have to hold an Australian qualification to meet our technical qualification requirement.
If you have a licence in New Zealand, you may be able to apply through the Mutual Recognition process.
How to apply
If you are a plumber and drainer, please see 'How to apply - for plumbers and drainers migrating from overseas' below.
- Choose your licence class. Each licence class outlines the scope of work, qualifications and experience requirements.
- Get your qualification/s recognised or assessed. If you have a qualification that you think may be equivalent to the one listed for your licence class, you may be able to get it recognised or may already meet requirements. The following organisations may assist you:
- Recognition of prior learning - This process allows you to have your overseas skills and experience assessed
- Professional organisation membership -If you hold a post-trade overseas qualification (Diploma, Degree, etc.) and you are a member of a professional organisation (RICS, CIOB, EA etc. in Australia or overseas), you may meet the technical qualifications for a licence. Please contact us for further information.
- Overseas trade assessment bodies - If you are still living overseas, a registered training organisation may be able to assess and recognise your qualification in certain trades in your home country. Find out which assessment body can recognise your trade.
- Apply for a licence - find out more detail about the application process and download a form.
How to apply - for plumbers and drainers migrating from overseas
For an overseas applicant to apply for a licence as a plumber and drainer (or both at the same time), please provide the following:
- Form 21 – Application for a Licence (PDF)
- Declaration of Qualifications and Practical Experience:
Technical qualifications and practical experience required
Return your completed form and all requirements by:
- Online: Submit a Feedback & Enquiries Form. You will need to register and/or login to myQBCC to provide your completed application form and required attachments.
- Post: GPO Box 5099 Brisbane QLD 4001 (please don’t send in original documents such as qualifications unless we request them)
- In person: QBCC service centres
For more information, see Apply for a plumbing and drainage licence .