Unless an exception applies, a QBCC contractor licence of the appropriate class is required to carry out or undertake to carry out demolition if the demolition is carried out as part of erection, construction, renovation, alteration, extension, improvement or repair of a building.
Work defined as building work in the QBCC Act requires a contractor’s licence to carry out or undertake to carry out the work. Building work includes the erection, construction, renovation improvement, repair and alteration of a building. A “building” is defined in the QBCC Act to include not only its ordinary meaning, but also any fixed structure.
- Work in isolation does not require a licence
- A licence under the Work Health and Safety Act is required to undertake demolition including asbestos removal
Work that is not building work requiring a licence
- The total value of the work (including the value of any other building work that is also carried out by the contractor) is $3,300 or less;
- Work personally performed by the owner of land if the work value is $11,000 or less.
Work that is building work but is exempted under the QBCC Act from requiring a contractor licence
- An employee of an appropriately licensed contractor;
- A subcontractor of an appropriately licensed trade contractor;
- A person in partnership with an appropriately licensed person;
- Design work carried out by a landscape architect;
- A consumer who engages 1 or more licensed contractors to carry out the work, if the consumer does not provide building work services for the work;
- Work carried out by the holder of an owner-builder permit to the extent that the work is permitted under the permit;
- A licensed nominee supervisor or site supervisor if doing something authorised by their licence;
- A person who enters into a head contract to carry out the work if both (i) the work is to be carried out by an appropriately licensed and (ii) is not residential construction work or domestic building work;
Further exemptions can be found under Schedule 1A QBCC Act and 1 of the QBCC Regulation
Applies to all licence classes
For detailed information regarding scopes of work see Licence classes.
Key legislation includes:
- Section 42, QBCC Act;
- Schedule 2, QBCC Act;
- Schedule 1A, QBCC Act.