Apply for a restricted plumbing and draining licence

The classes of restricted plumbing and drainage licences include:

Restricted licence class Scope of work
Water plumber – gas   Connecting and disconnecting water plumbing associated with replacing a gas hot water heater
Water plumber - Electrical

Connecting and disconnecting water plumbing associated with replacing an electrical resistance hot water heater

Water plumber - Fire protection (commercial and industrial)

Installing, maintaining and testing commercial and industrial fire sprinkler systems

Water plumber - Fire protection (domestic and residential) Installing, maintaining and testing domestic and residential fire sprinkler systems.
Water plumber - Fire protection (hydrants and hose reels) installing, maintaining and testing fire hydrants and fire hose reels
Water plumber - Irrigation Water plumbing work restricted to irrigation
Water plumber - Water and sanitary Water plumbing work and sanitary plumbing work
Drainer—on-site sewage facility

(a) maintaining on-site sewage facilities; or

(b) carrying out OSTP installation work and maintaining on-site sewage facilities

Note: The scope of work for restricted water plumber – gas and restricted water plumber – electrical licences is taken to include solely the disconnection and connection of pipes directly connected to the hot water heater. Any additional regulated plumbing work, such as the installation of a tempering valve, will need to be performed by a fully licensed plumber.

How do I apply?

To apply for a plumber, drainer and/or restricted licence you will need to complete the following:

Technical qualifications and practical experience required

See Technical Qualifications for Licensing - Plumbing and Drainage occupational licences (PDF)

Return your completed form and all requirements by:

  • Online: Submit a Feedback & Enquiries Form. You will need to register and/or login to myQBCC to provide your completed application form and required attachments.
  • Post: GPO Box 5099 Brisbane QLD 4001 (please don’t send in original documents such as qualifications unless we request them)
  • In person: QBCC service centres