Moving from interstate

You must hold a QBCC licence before you carry out any building work in Queensland.

If you have a licence in another state, you can apply for an equivalent QBCC licence without the need to provide a technical qualification or experience. However, in some cases you may need to complete a managerial qualification.


Companies can’t use the mutual recognition process. See Apply for a company licence for more information.

New Zealand applicants

If you hold a New Zealand licence, you can apply for an equivalent QBCC licence but must complete an approved managerial course.

For those who have a site licence in areas 1, 2 or 3, contact us before applying or completing a managerial course. Submit a certified copy of your New Zealand licence before applying or completing a managerial course.

If your New Zealand licence has been cancelled or suspended, the QBCC may consider this as part of your application.

How to apply

Fill out the Mutual Recognition Application Form (PDF), providing:

  • a certified copy of your current interstate licence
  • financial information that shows you meet the minimum financial requirements - Nominee Supervisor applicants don’t need to supply financial information
  • proof of identity (e.g. a certified copy of your driver’s licence or passport)
  • if contracting under a trading name, a current copy of your Record of Registration from the Australian Securities and Investment Commission
  • if contracting under a partnership, proof of the business partnership or an original or certified copy of QBCC’s Statutory Declaration for a Partnership Agreement (PDF)
  • for some applicants, such as South Australian applicants with only a supervisor licence, you must complete a QBCC-approved managerial course
  • current licence application fees.

Lodge your application by post, to GPO Box 5099 Brisbane, Queensland 4001 (please provide copies of original documents only, unless we request otherwise) or in person at your nearest QBCC office.

How to apply - mutual recognition for occupational plumbers and drainers

If you are an interstate or New Zealand plumber and/or drainer and applying for mutual recognition complete the following:

Applying through mutual recognition may result in the work we permit you to undertake being limited to exactly what you are licensed to do in your current state or country. This may differ from the licence class scopes of work recognised in Queensland. For more details on the licence application process and how to apply for a Queensland licence class, see Applying for plumbing and drainage licence.

When submitting an application, you will need to include the appropriate licence application fee(s). For more information see Occupational plumbing and draining fees.

Please note: If you are applying for a QBCC contractor licence you will need to complete two forms; the Mutual Recognition Application Form (PDF) and Form 28 - Mutual Recognition Application Form (PDF). In Queensland, if you are contracting to carry out plumbing and drainage work, you need two licences; an occupational and a trade contractor licence.  If applying for both licences, there is no fee required on the occupational licence. 

For more information, see Apply for a plumbing and drainage licence.

Can I start work before my licence is approved?

No. Carrying out building work before your licence is granted is unlicensed contracting.

Important information for Licensees with interstate or New Zealand Licences

Licensing – excluded individuals

From 1 October 2020 changes were introduced to ensure QBCC can consider a person’s conduct and licence history in other jurisdictions when deciding to issue, renew or cancel a licence in Queensland. For example, licence applicants must tell QBCC about currently held interstate and/or New Zealand licenses, and all licensees must immediately (within 14 days) notify QBCC of any licence events such as new licences given and/or licences cancelled or suspended in other jurisdictions (this is not retrospective, and will only apply from commencement).