Mechanical services licences
Mechanical Services – employer portal
This space has been produced for employers who want to assist their employees obtain a licence for the mechanical services work.
Who are we talking about when we say employees?
Employees are those performing work under a contractor or company licence including site supervisors; but not including nominee supervisors.
When do employees need their licence?
Employees have until 1 January 2022 to hold a licence for mechanical services work.
If your employees do not hold any qualifications, how are they going to get a QBCC licence
Employees should contact an RTO to discuss the best avenue for obtaining the qualifications, as they must hold the licence on 1 January 2022 to continue working.
What about apprentices?
Apprentices or trainees undertaking an apprenticeship do not need to hold a licence until they have completed their training.
Where can you find a Registered Training Organisation?
Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) for each mechanical services stream are available on the following licensing pages:
- Mechanical Services - Plumbing licence
- Mechanical Services - Plumbing licence occupational licence
- Mechanical Services - Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration (Unlimited Design) licence
- Mechanical Services - Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration (Limited Design) licence
- Mechanical Services - Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration occupational licence
- Mechanical Services - Medical Gas licence
- Mechanical Services - Medical Gas occupational licence
You can also check training course information using a course name or code on Queensland Skills Gateway.
Are your employees ready to apply?
- Read the Mechanical Services - Licensing Requirements for Employees Fact Sheet
- Apply online via https://my.qbcc.qld.gov.au/s/licence-app; or
- Download our PDF application form: Occupational licence application (PDF)
To hold a licence by 1 January 2022 applicants should allow 6-8 weeks for processing time.
The following resources are designed to assist the application process:
- Journey Fact Sheet for Mechanical Services – Plumbing
- Journey Fact Sheet for Mechanical Services - Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration
- Journey Fact Sheet for Mechanical Services - Medical Gas
See the Mechanical Services - Licensing Requirements for Employees Fact Sheet for more information.