Mechanical services technical qualification pathways
Steps to identify your pathway
1. Understand your current position
- What qualifications do you have (if any)?
- What skills have you gained from the work that you do now, or have done before?
- What can you provide as evidence of your skills?
2. Identify your pathway options
There are likely to be a number of different pathways for you to take. Deciding the best one for you is important.
You may need more training or you may be eligible for Recognition of Prior Learning, a process that allows your current skills and experience to work towards a qualification.
3. Engage a Registered Training Organisation (RTO)
RTOs are accepted providers of quality assured and nationally recognised training and qualifications.
They have the industry know-how to recognise your current skills and help you onto a pathway to where you want to go.
Where can I find a Registered Training Organisation?
Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) for each mechanical services stream are available on the following licensing pages:
- Mechanical Services - Plumbing licence
- Mechanical Services - Plumbing licence occupational licence
- Mechanical Services - Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration (Unlimited Design) licence
- Mechanical Services - Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration (Limited Design) licence
- Mechanical Services - Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration occupational licence
- Mechanical Services - Medical Gas licence
- Mechanical Services - Medical Gas occupational licence
You can also check training course information using a course name or code on Queensland Skills Gateway.
Visit the Department of Employment, Small Business and Training for information on Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and how to complete a skills assessment.
You may be able to apply for a government subsidy
Applicants for a Mechanical Services – Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration (Limited Design) or the Mechanical Services – Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration (Occupational) licence may be eligible for a State Government subsidy for the required technical qualifications:
- Certificate III in Engineering – Mechanical Trade (MEM30205)
- Certificate III in Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration (UEE32211)
For details of the Trade Skills Assessment and Gap Training (TSAGT) Program visit the Department of Employment, Small Business and Training website.