Mechanical services licences
Transitional arrangements for the Mechanical Services - Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration licence
Existing QBCC Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning (RAC) contractors who employ plumbers and RAC tradespeople under the current framework
You may be eligible for a free Mechanical Services – Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration and Mechanical Services – Plumbing contractor licence during the transition period, if you:
- We will automatically transition your current licence to the equivalent new Mechanical Services – Air Conditioning and Refrigeration licence class. You will not need to provide paperwork or pay any additional fee. We will give you a new licence card upon renewal.
- You may also be eligible for a free Mechanical Services – Plumbing licence if you:
- have the required technical qualifications;
- can show that you have performed mechanical services plumbing work (or employed workers to carry out this work) for a minimum period of six months, prior 1 January 2020; and
- apply by 30 June 2020.
- To carry out mechanical services plumbing work after 1 July 2020 you must hold the Mechanical Services – Plumbing licence. To allow time to process your application you should apply by 30 April 2020.
Workers (including site supervisors)
From 1 January 2020, existing businesses (contractors) will have 6 months to obtain a mechanical services licence for the work. During this period, the contractor’s employees (other than apprentices completing their qualification and nominee supervisors) may continue to perform mechanical services work without a licence, until the contractor’s licence application is determined.
If you’re an individual (other than apprentices who complete their qualification and nominee supervisors), you must obtain your licence before 1 January 2022.
From 1 January 2022 all individual workers will need to hold a current mechanical services occupational licence. Licence applications must be made to the QBCC well before this date to ensure the licence is issued prior to 1 January 2022.
If you have applied for a QBCC Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning licence (contractor, nominee supervisor or site supervisor licence) before 1 January 2020 and the application has not been decided, your application will be assessed for the equivalent mechanical services licence. There are no additional requirements or fees.
From 1 January 2022, you will need to hold a mechanical services licence to lawfully perform mechanical services work or risk being fined.