Mechanical Services - Medical Gas Occupational licence
New mechanical services licensing requirements commenced on 1 January 2020. For a period of time there are a number of options available to existing QBCC licensees and employees undertaking mechanical services work to assist their application for a mechanical services licence. For more information go to Transitional arrangements for Mechanical Services - Medical Gas
Employees performing mechanical services – medical gas work
Employees are workers performing mechanical services – plumbing work for a company or employer who:
- holds a Mechanical Services – Plumbing licence; or
- has a Mechanical Services – Plumbing licence application pending.
These employees do not need to hold their licence until 1 January 2022.
How to lodge your application
Did you know you can lodge your application form online with myQBCC? If you’re an existing licensee user of myQBCC, applicable fee exemptions will be automatically calculated when you lodge online.
Alternatively, you can complete an application form and include all the supporting documents and correct application fee by completing the appropriate PDF form/s:
- Licence application form - Site Supervisor and Occupational Mechanical Services (PDF)
- Mechanical Services - Medical Gas only - experience form (PDF)
Scope of work
- Constructing, installing, replacing, repairing, altering, maintaining, testing or commissioning a medical gas system in a building
There are no additional experience requirements.
Technical qualification requirements
You will need to meet the technical qualifications to obtain the mechanical services – medical gas licence.
You must meet both 1 and 2 below:
1. One of the following:
- Certificate III in Plumbing Mechanical Services CPC32513
- Certificate III in Plumbing CPC32413
- Certificate III in Gas Fitting CPC32713
- another course the QBCC considers as equivalent
- a qualification or statement of attainment of required competency for the class of licence; and
2. Both of the following courses:
- CPCPMS3034A - Install medical gas pipeline system, and
- CPCPCM2043A - Carry out WHS requirement; or
- a course/s the QBCC considers as equivalent
There are no managerial requirements.
There are no financial requirements.
- Interstate Applicants – may be eligible to obtain a licence through Mutual Recognition
- Overseas Applicants – may have to have an overseas qualification assessed for equivalency prior to applying.
Recognition of prior learning
If you do not hold a formal technical qualification, you may be able to obtain it through recognition of prior learning (RPL) by a Registered Training Organisation (RTO). The following RTOs may be able to provide RPL services:
Mechanical Services – Medical Gas
- TAFE Queensland (CPC32513, CPC32413, CPC32713, CPCPMS3034A, CPCPCM2043A)
- The Services Trade College (CPC32513, CPC32413, CPCPMS3034A, CPCPCM2043A)
- Bizmatrix (On application - CPC32713)
- AXIAL Training (CPCPCM2043A)
Registered Training Organisations (RTOs)
Registered Training Organisations issue formal qualifications to people who successfully complete training. Please note that the RTO list is a guide only and subject to change. We strive to ensure that the information contained is accurate and up-to-date.
Other qualifications can be:
- documentation showing you successfully completed an apprenticeship
- a certificate showing you successfully completed the appropriate course for this licence class
- a certificate showing you successfully completed an equivalent course for this licence class (e.g. similar modules)
- recognition certificate
- a qualification of statement of attainment of the required competency issued by an approved authority for the licence class.
Apply or enquire online