Changes to special hazard suppression systems licences
Existing special hazard suppression system licences have transitioned to the special hazard fire system stream under the new framework.
Key changes for existing licensees:
- There are changes for licensees transitioning to the new ‘certify’ classes.
- The ‘install and maintain’ class will automatically transition with no change to scope or upskilling requirements
- The ‘maintain - restricted to gaseous, water mist and reticulated foam proportioning system’ class will transition to the new ‘install and maintain’ class with a requirement to upskill – additional competency units are to be completed by 1 May 2023. The new class includes installation work and installation of incidental fire collars.
- The scope of work of each of the new special hazard system stream licence classes:
- includes all special hazard fire systems: suppression, extinguishing and inerting systems that use stored pressure, a chemical reaction or compressed gas to discharge or generate an aqueous solution, a chemical agent, a foam solution, a gaseous agent, hypoxic air or water
- does not include certifying, installing or maintaining electrical monitoring systems or electrical controls for a relevant special hazard fire system.
For more information, see the Changes to licence classes for special hazard suppression systems fact sheet (PDF).
Former licence classes that have transitioned: