Changes to special hazard suppression systems licences
Special hazard suppression system licences transitioned to the special hazard fire system stream under the new framework which commenced on 1 May 2021.
Key changes for transitioning licensees:
- There are changes for licensees who transitioned to the new ‘certify’ classes.
- The ‘install and maintain’ class automatically transitioned with no change to scope or upskilling requirements
- The ‘maintain - restricted to gaseous, water mist and reticulated foam proportioning system’ class transitioned to the new ‘install and maintain’ class with a requirement to upskill – additional competency units are to be completed by 1 May 2023. The new class includes installation work and installation of incidental fire collars.
- The scope of work of each of the new special hazard system stream licence classes:
- includes all special hazard fire systems: suppression, extinguishing and inerting systems that use stored pressure, a chemical reaction or compressed gas to discharge or generate an aqueous solution, a chemical agent, a foam solution, a gaseous agent, hypoxic air or water
- does not include certifying, installing or maintaining electrical monitoring systems or electrical controls for a relevant special hazard fire system.
For more information, see the Changes to licence classes for special hazard suppression systems fact sheet (PDF).
Former licence classes that have transitioned: