Special hazard fire system stream
Special hazard fire systems activate to control fire using specialised means. Suppression, extinguishing or inerting systems use stored pressure, a chemical reaction or compressed gas to discharge or generate:
- an aqueous solution
- a chemical agent
- a foam solution
- a gaseous agent
- hypoxic air
Special hazard fire system stream licences are offered across the following classes:
- install and maintain.
Scopes of work
- certify relevant special hazard fire systems.
Note: the scope of work does not include certifying electrical monitoring systems or electrical controls for a relevant special hazard fire system.
Install and maintain
- install and maintain relevant special hazard fire systems AND
- install fire collars if the installation is incidental to the installation and maintenance of a relevant special hazard fire system.
- the scope of work does not include installing or maintaining electrical monitoring systems or electrical controls for a relevant special hazard fire system
- maintain includes inspect and test of equipment.
From 1 May 2021, the new fire protection licence classes replaced existing classes. Licence applications received after this time are taken to be for the new relevant class and must meet the technical qualifications prescribed for the new licence class.
Transitional pathways have been provided to enable the QBCC to accept the technical qualification prescribed for a current class for the new relevant classes in certain circumstances.
- For applications lodged prior to 1 May 2021 and pending determination, the QBCC will assess the application with regard to both the new qualification, and where available, any transitional pathway that will enable the QBCC to accept a current qualification.
- For applications for the new ‘fire protection – special hazard fire system stream – install and maintain’ class that are lodged after 1 May 2021, a transitional pathway is provided to enable acceptance of the technical qualifications for the current ‘special hazard supression systems – install and maintain’ licence class, provided the applicant was enrolled in the qualification prior to 1 May 2021 and completes the qualification between 1 May 2021 and 1 May 2022.
For more information:
- see the Changes to special hazard suppression systems fact sheet (PDF).
- refer to the technical qualifications (PDF) for the new fire licence classes.