Electrical mechanics - emergency detection and warning systems
A QBCC contractor’s licence is not required by a licensed electrical mechanic under the Electrical Safety Act to inspect, test, install or repair a fire detection system, alarm system or emergency warning and communication system for a building. (See schedule 1 section 21, QBCC regulation).
A QBCC contractor’s licence is only required to carry out or undertake to carry out work that is building work. The above work is exempted from being building work under Schedule 1AA section 21, QBCC Regulation.
- Requirement to hold a fire protection occupational licence in some circumstances
While a QBCC contractor licence is not required, under section 42C, QBCC Act a licensed electrical mechanic can only personally carry out or personally supervise the above stated work if one of the following apply:
- The work is authorised to be personally carried out or personally supervised under a licence, registration or authorisation held under the Electrical Safety Act or another Act; or
- For extra low voltage work only, the licensed electrical mechanic is authorised to carry out the work under a fire protection occupational (or contractor) licence issued under the QBCC Act; or
- For extra low voltage work only, the licensed electrical mechanic personally supervises or carries out the work as an employee of a licensed QBCC Act contractor who holds a relevant contractor class of licence for the work. ((see section 42C of QBCC Act and see schedule 4, QBCC Regulation).
The following licence classes may undertake this work subject to the limitations of the licence class scope of work:
- Fire Detection, Alarm and Warning Systems - Install and Maintain Extra Low Voltage;
- Fire Detection, Alarm and Warning Systems - Maintain Extra Low Voltage.
- Fire Detection, Alarm and Warning Systems (occupational) - Install and Maintain Extra Low Voltage;
- Fire Detection, Alarm and Warning Systems (occupational) - Maintain Extra Low Voltage;
For detailed information regarding scopes of work see Licence Classes.
Key legislation includes:
- Section 42, QBCC Act;
- Section 42C, QBCC Act;
- Schedule 2, QBCC Act;
- Schedule 1 section 21 QBCC Regulation;
- Schedule 3, Part 9, QBCC Regulation;
- Schedule 4, section 5 QBCC Regulation.