Notifiable work for plumbing and drainage

Notifiable Work (Form 4/4A) online submission - create an account or login

Log in to myQBCC and pay for Notifiable Work (Form 4/4A) online

From 26 April 2017, Notifiable Work (Form 4/4A) submissions are now made through myQBCC, our online customer portal. The old PAS system is no longer available and your old login and password will need to be replaced with a myQBCC account username and password.

You can view an instruction video (6:51 minutes) on the Notifiable Work system in myQBCC and see how the process works. 

If you have a myQBCC account, simply log in and proceed to the My Licences or My Work tabs to get started.

If you don't have a myQBCC account, read our factsheet on registering for a myQBCC account and then head along to create your myQBCC account here. Please use a email address that is unique to you, not a shared or group one used by multiple people.

After you submit your registration, you will receive an email telling you how to create a password, and then you can access myQBCC and make your submission.

We have created a handy User Guide to help Plumbers and Drainers submit Notifiable Work (Form 4/4A) on myQBCC. It explains everything from logging in to your myQBCC account through to paying for and amending or cancelling completed submissions. 

How much do I pay?

$30.75 per form and you can pay by VISA or Mastercard.

If you previously held a Top-Up account with us and need to request a refund following its closure, please complete this Refund Request Form - Top-Up Account Closure (PDF). Return it to, by post to GPO Box 5099, Brisbane QLD 4001 or to the counter of any of our Service Centres around the state. We aim to have your refund processed within 28 days of receiving your returned form and will notify you via email once the funds have been electronically transferred to your nominated account.

When should I submit the form?

You must report the completion of notifiable work to us, by lodging a Form 4/4A, within 10 business days of the work becoming operational, or the issue of the customer’s invoice (whichever is earlier).

Who should submit the form?

A responsible person - this is:

  • a full plumber and drainer; or
  • a licensed supervisor, if you are a provisional licensee

If there are multiple licensees, one licensee (as the responsible person for the work) can submit the form on behalf of the other licensees. You can add as many people as necessary in the 'Licensed Person who did the work' section so the details of all licensees involved are recorded.

Who needs a copy of the form?

You must provide a copy of the form to the owner/occupier of the property. If you are doing maintenance work for real estate agents, a copy of the form should be given to the owner or another person or entity who contracted the work.

How many forms do I lodge if there is more than one category of work on the same job?

Where more than one category of notifiable work is performed on a premises under a single transaction, typically, only one form needs to be lodged.   In determining whether a combination of jobs form part of a single transaction, we consider the following factors:

  • whether the work was included in a single work order or quotation
  • when the work was completed and ready to be used by the occupant of the premises
  • when the licensee issued an invoice for the work.

For example, if you carry out a bathroom renovation and also install a new hot water heater on the same premises as part of a single transaction, only one form is required.

Amending or cancelling a submitted Notifiable Work (Form 4/4A)

If you realise you have made an error on a completed submission, you can access the record in myQBCC and make changes to the following details:

  • the property address
  • any optional additional address details you entered
  • optional 'My Reference' details you entered
  • the categories of work you selected
  • the attachments you added.

A guide on how to locate and amend your submission is included in the Notifiable Work (Form 4/4A) Submission User Guide - Plumbers and Drainers (PDF).

If the information you need to correct is something other than those items listed above, you'll now be able to request a cancellation and refund by filling out a Refund Request Form - Notifiable Work Cancellation (PDF) and returning it: