Notifiable work for plumbing and drainage

Notifiable work - frequently asked questions

Is a building with a mezzanine floor or split level balcony considered a storey when I determine if the building is two storeys or more? 


What if the building has a basement – is it counted as a storey?  Yes, it is highly recommended that you obtain an as-constructed drainage diagram from the local government prior to undertaking the work. An as-constructed drawing showing the dimensions of the new work must be included with the Notifiable Work (Form 4/4A).

How will I know if a domestic building has a combined drain?  

If you suspect that the building has a combined horizontal drain you should request information from the local government before proceeding with work.

I am installing individual sub-meters in an apartment building. Do I have to inform the water service provider before I connect the meter and connect to the water service provider’s water supply infrastructure? 


I have been asked to add an additional toilet and shower to an existing home in a unsewered area. Can I do this under notifiable work?  Yes.
A builder wants me to quote on the installation of fixtures and fittings for a two bedroom extension to an existing home in an unsewered area. I am concerned that the existing wastewater system will not handle the additional hydraulic load. What do I do?   It is a requirement that the building certifier obtain advice from the local government regarding the suitability of the existing wastewater system. You can contact the certifier or the local government for further advice.
What does ‘connected to trade waste’ mean? A trade waste drain is a drain for conveying commercial waste, grease, chemical waste, high temperature waste or hazardous waste. A grease trap, oil separators or cooling pits may be required to prevent contaminants polluting the drainage network.
Installing or relocating a fixture connected to trade waste will require local government approval prior to commencement of the works.