Notifiable work for plumbing and drainage


Plumbing and drainage work is often complex and requires a high level of skill and experience. We want to continue to maintain high standards within the industry which is why there is an external checking process for the common day-to-day plumbing and drainage work.

How does the process work?

If you're a QBCC licensed plumber and/or drainer working in an existing building, you must record the details about the job with us.

Local government has access to the list of these jobs (which is known as 'notifiable work') and may then carry out compliance checks.

What type of work do I need to report on?

  • installing, replacing or removing any electric, gas, solar or heat pump hot water heaters
  • installing fixtures such as toilets, showers and sinks
  • extending, altering, replacing or removing water supply pipes
  • extending, altering, replacing or removing waste pipes (depending on the placement of the pipework).

For a full explanation and outline of the type of work, see What is notifiable work and what do I need to do? or to find out what is not notifiable work - see Compliance assessable work, minor work and unregulated work.

How do I record notifiable work?

You can enter the details online through myQBCC or if you prefer, you can manually record your jobs in the Form 4 book.  

If you're new to myQBCC, we show you how you can log in to the system.  It's a simple process but we do provide a guide if you need it.

There's a separate procedure for public sector entities.

Avoiding penalties

Find out what happens during a compliance check and view a list of the most common mistakes with accompanying tips to help you do things the right way, the first time.