Office fit out
Unless an exception applies, a contractor licence under the QBCC Act is required to carry out or undertake to carry out an office fit out to the extent that it involves construction, erection, renovation, alteration, extension, improvement or repair of a building.
However, in some circumstances the work may be exempted from being building work or otherwise requiring a licence under the QBCC Act or its regulation. See next column for comon exceptions.
Under section 42 of the QBCC Act it is an offence carry out or undertake to carry out building work without a contractor’s licence of the appropriate class, unless the work is exempted in schedule 1A of the Act.
Subject to exceptions prescribed in schedule 1 of the QBCC Regulation, building work is defined in the QBCC Act to include the erection, construction, improvement, repair or alteration of building, including a fixed structure.
Undertaking to carry out building work includes contracting to carry out the work, submitting a tender to carry out the work, making an offer to carry out the work.
Work that is not building work requiring a contractor licence
- The total value of the work is over $3,300 (excluding work that is a zero dollar value – see definition of value) ;
Work that is building work but is exempted under the QBCC Act from requiring a contractor licence
- An employee of an appropriately licensed contractor;
- A subcontractor of an appropriately licensed trade contractor;
- A person in partnership with an appropriately licensed person;
- A consumer who engages 1 or more licensed contractors to carry out the work if the consumer does not provide building work services for the work;
- A licensed nominee supervisor or site supervisor if doing something authorised by their licence;
- A person who enters into a head contract to carry out the work if both (i) the work is to be carried out by an appropriately licensed and (ii) is not residential construction work or domestic building work;
Further exemptions can be found under Schedule 1A QBCC Act and 1 of the QBCC Regulation
The following licence classes may undertake this work subject to the limitations of the licence class scope of work:
- Builder Open;
- Builder Medium Rise;
- Builder Low Rise;
- Builder Restricted to Shopfitting;
- Shopfitting (Trade);
- Structural Metal Fabrication;
For detailed information regarding scopes of work see Licence classes.
Key legislation includes:
- Section 42, QBCC Act;
- Schedule 1A, QBCC Act;
- Schedule 2, QBCC Act;
- Schedule 1, QBCC Regulation.