Unless an exception applies, a QBCC contractor licence of the appropriate class is required to carry out or undertake to carry out work for the construction, erection, renovation, alteration, extension, improvement, repair, installation, commissioning, maintenance and testing of on-site domestic waste water management systems if the value of the work is greater than $3,300.
However, a person performing on-site sewage work must hold an appropriate licence under the Plumbing and Drainage Act 2018 regardless of value.
In some circumstances the work may be exempted from being building work or otherwise requiring a licence under the QBCC Act or its regulation. See next column for common exceptions.
Work that is not building work requiring a contractor licence
- Work personally performed by the owner of land if the work value is $11,000 or less;
Work that is building work but is exempted under the QBCC Act from requiring a contractor licence
- An employee of an appropriately licensed contractor;
- A subcontractor of an appropriately licensed trade contractor;
- A person in partnership with an appropriately licensed person;
- Construction, extension, repair, or replacement of a sewerage system other than works connecting a particular building to a main of the sewerage system;
- A consumer who engages 1 or more licensed contractors to carry out the work if the consumer does not provide building work services for the work;
- A licensed nominee supervisor or site supervisor if doing something authorised by their licence;
- Work carried out by the holder of an owner-builder permit to the extent that the work is permitted under the permit.
- A person who enters into a head contract to carry out the work if both (i) the work is to be carried out by an appropriately licensed and (ii) is not residential construction work or domestic building work;
Further exemptions can be found under Schedule 1A QBCC Act and 1 of the QBCC Regulation
The following licence classes may undertake this work subject to the limitations of the licence class scope of work:
- Plumbing and Drainage;
- Drainage On-site Sewerage.
For detailed information regarding scopes of work see Licence classes.
Key legislation includes:
- Section 42, QBCC Act;
- Schedule 1A, QBCC Act;
- Schedule 2, QBCC Act;
- Schedule 1, QBCC Regulation.