Work valued $3,300 or less
Under Schedule 1AA section 2 of the QBCC Regulation, work valued at $3,300 or less is not building working requiring a contractor licence, unless one of the following apply:
- the work is within the scope of work of a fire protection licence;
- the work is within the scope of work of a
- Building Design Licence (low, medium and or open)
- Completed Building Inspection Licence,
- Plumbing and drainage licence,
- Drainage Licence,
- Gasfitting licence,
- Site classifier licence, or
- Termite Management Chemical Licence.
- the work is within the scope of work of another licence provided for in schedule 2 of the QBCC Regulation, and is carried out by a licensee as part of a contract for building work of which the total value is more than $3,300; or
- the work is within the scope of work of a Hydraulic Services Design Licence and the value of the work is more than $1,100.
(See schedule 1AA, QBCC Regulation)
- Meaning of value of work
“Value of building work” means an amount representing the reasonable cost to a consumer of having the work carried out by a licensed contractor on the basis that all building materials are to be supplied by the contractor (whether or not the work is in fact carried out by a licensed contractor on that basis).
- Fire protection work carried out by an owner of land
An owner of land can carry out work within the scope of work of a fire protection licence up to the value of $1100 without a QBCC contractor licence. However, the owner will still require a fire protection occupational licence to carry out the work unless they are authorised by a licence, registration or authorisation under other legislation to do the work.
- Value of building work carried out in stages
If building work is, or is to be, carried out in stages under a series of separate contracts, the value of the building work is the aggregate value of the building work carried out, or to be carried out, under those contracts.
Key legislation includes:
- Section 42, QBCC Act;
- Schedule 2, QBCC Act;
- Schedule 1AA section 2, QBCC Regulation.