You can’t always avoid problems when you build and while you can resolve some issues yourself, there are times when you may need a qualified person to assist you. If you’re at a stage where both you and your contractor are at a standstill over an issue, we may be able to help you reach a solution. Depending on your circumstances, we have different processes designed to help resolve different types of complaints.
What can you complain about?
- Defective building work including both before and after your contract is complete
- Incomplete work due to bankruptcy, liquidation, your contractor not holding a current licence or death
- Damage to your property caused by building work carried out on a neighbouring property
- A pre-purchase or pest inspection report that didn’t identify possible defects
- Building design
- Where you believe a contractor is breaking the law, including unlicensed contracting and inappropriate behaviour
- The professional conduct of a building certifier
Use our handy dispute checklist tool to find out if you have all the right information to lodge a complaint.
Lodging your complaint
Going through a dispute is frustrating so we want to make this process as stress-free as possible. You can avoid unnecessary delays by making sure that you answer all the relevant questions on the form and enter the correct dates and $ amounts when requested.
It's also important to attach the right paperwork with your complaint. Depending on your situation, documents you may need to submit include things like quotes, the contract, proof of payment, the pre-purchase report or a contract of sale.
The following pages expain in more detail the different kind of complaints we can help you with. Read on for futher details or, if you need help, call us 139 333 or visit one of our service centres.
You can lodge your complaint online. It is important to note that you must submit your ONLINE form within 24 hours after entering your details. Data on a saved form will be deleted after 24 hours.