Apply for a licence
Apply for a trade contractor licence
Before you apply
See the trade contractor scopes of work to view the requirements of each licence class.
How to apply
Fill out the Trade Contractors Licence Application Form (PDF), providing:
- documents showing you hold the technical qualifications required for the licence class (e.g. occupational licence from PIC, apprenticeship, skills recognition or formal qualification). If you don’t hold the technical qualifications please refer to Recognition of Prior Learning for further information
- financial information that shows you meet QBCC’s Minimum Financial Requirements (PDF)
- nominee supervisor applicants don’t need to provide financial information
- site classifier and design applicants may not need to provide financial information. See Who is exempt from financial reporting for more details
- proof of identity (e.g. certified copy of your driver’s licence or passport)
- if contracting under a trading name – a current copy of your Record of Registration from Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC)
- if contracting under a partnership – proof of the business Partnership or an original or certified copy of QBCC’s Statutory Declaration for Partnership Agreement (PDF)
- a certificate of completion of the approved managerial course.
Additional licence class application
- you don’t have to complete another managerial course if you hold a contractor or nominee supervisor licence, and you are applying for an additional licence class
- if you hold a site supervisor or fire occupational licence and you are applying for a trade contractor or nominee supervisor licence, you must complete the managerial course.
Re-applying for a licence
If you've previously held a licence and you want to re-apply or your licence is suspended, find out about your options - Renew, update or surrender your licence.
If your QBCC licence is cancelled and you are reapplying, you must meet the current licensing requirements. You may need to complete a new managerial course to gain your licence and we will review the content of your original course to see if it meets the current standards.
Other acceptable qualifications
You may already hold a qualification that is acceptable. Check with your nearest QBCC office about other acceptable qualifications.
What are the fees?
The fee is determined by your revenue and there are different financial categories:
- Supervisor – financial information is not required
- SC1 – $200,000 Declaration or Estimated Maximum Revenue declaration (Maximum Revenue up to $200,000)
- SC2 – $600,000 Declaration or Estimated Maximum Revenue declaration (Maximum Revenue up to $600,000)
- Category 1–7 - MFR Report
Check the current licence application fees.
How to lodge your application
Lodge your completed application form, along with all the supporting documents and correct application fee:
- by post, to GPO Box 5099, Brisbane QLD 4001 (please don’t send in original documents, such as qualifications, unless we request them)
- in person at your nearest QBCC Office
How long will it take to be processed?
We will take approximately 6-8 weeks to process your application. This includes checks to confirm you are a fit and proper person to hold a licence.
After you've applied
If your licence is approved, you'll receive a letter, which includes your licence number and scope of work for the licence class.
Can I start work before my licence is granted?
- No. Doing building work or providing quotes or tenders before you get your licence is unlicensed contracting.
What if I hold a licence in another state?
You may be entitled to use the mutual recognition process to apply.