Apply for an owner builder permit
Complete the Owner Builder Permit Application Form (PDF) and include:
- an original or certified copy of a current title search or Registration Confirmation Statement (no more than 30 days old) from the Titles Office
- proof of a completed owner builder course, or exemption approval
- proof of identity
- the application fee.
How do I calculate the value of the work?
You must include:
- the cost of the materials (the value can’t be reduced if they’re discounted or recycled)
- the labour (the amount a licensed contractor would charge you for the work).
The value of labour can’t be reduced if it’s provided free of charge.
If you’re applying as a company
Include the following with your application:
- proof of company directors – Company Historical Extract or Historical Company Extract from the ASIC Historical Company Extract Providers PDF)
- all company directors' names and signatures on the application form.
If you’re living on land under a lease, licence, or other authority from the owner, you can apply for a permit. We do suggest though, that you get legal advice first. This will ensure that you are fully aware of your rights and obligations.
Provide the following details with your permit application:
- the land owner’s details
- proof of the land ownership, no older than 30 days (e.g. Title)
- a copy of the lease agreement, licence, or authority from the owner, and a letter from the owner giving you permission to carry out work at the property under an owner builder permit. The letter must include a full description of the work you intend doing under the permit.
Owner builder application processing time
It usually takes up to 4 weeks to process an application.
Applying for another owner builder permit
You can only have one owner builder permit every 6 years. However, we may issue a new permit in exceptional circumstances (such as sickness or severe financial difficulty). Complete the Application for Exemption from the Six-year Ruling (PDF).