Owner builder work without a permit
Owner builder work started without a permit
If you’ve started carrying out owner builder work without a permit, you can still apply for a permit for the work yet to be carried out.
Complete the Owner Builder Permit Application form (PDF) and include:
- the owner builder course certificate
- a full description of the work to be carried out under the permit, and the work already started
- the application fee.
Owner builder work completed without a permit
If you’ve completed work without getting an owner builder permit and need to apply for development approval, complete the Notification of Owner Builder Work Already Completed form (PDF).
Attach the following documents:
- current Title Search (no older than 30 days)
- payment for placing the notification on Title
- if you are applying as a company – a current ASIC report.
We can’t issue a permit once the owner builder work is done, but we’ll send you a letter to apply for development approval. The letter also informs the Development Assessment Manager that no insurance premium is payable for the work.
Doing work without a permit – fines
If you carry out owner builder work without a permit, we may issue a fine.