Helpful tips on making your pool safer
Below are some simple and cost-effective ways to make your pool safer and help you comply with the pool safety standard laws.
Garden beds and ground levels
- remove surrounding garden beds from the fence
- reduce the height of surrounding ground levels and garden beds
- raise the barrier height to at least 1200 millimetres above the finished ground level.
- adjust the gate to ensure that it doesn't swing inwards towards the pool area
- install a striker or latch to make the gate self-latching
- ensure the gate is self-closing and self-latching from any position
- adjust the self-closing mechanism or replace the hinges to make the gate self-closing
- oil the hinges if the gate is not closing properly
- ensure the gate is regularly maintained
- shield any climbable objects with a non-climbable material such as flat polycarbonate sheeting, vertical palings or a ‘fillet’ that has an angle of 60 degrees or more
- trim any branches within 900 millimetres of the pool barrier – if there are branches overhanging from an adjacent property, you may need to negotiate with your neighbour to remove them
- if vertical gaps are no more than 10mm, fix a timber wedge fillet (minimum 60 degree angle) along the horizontal rails within the 900 millimetre non-climbable zone
- shield any lattice or other climbable material within the non-climbable zone with a non-climbable material such as flat polycarbonate sheeting or vertical palings
- trim any climbable vegetation away from the barrier
- remove all climbable objects within the 900 millimetres non-climbable zone
Windows that access the pool area
- windows with sills less than 1200mm high giving access to the pool area must be made permanently inoperable or made to open no more than 100 millimetres
- insert a permanent window chock to stop the window opening more than 100 millimetres
- install permanently fixed security screens on windows
- louvres with a gap of more than 100 millimetres do not comply
- installing window locks is not acceptable as they can be easily left unlocked.