Reporting unlicensed building work

If you believe that an individual or entity is working without a licence and you have evidence (PDF), you can make a complaint.

Before you submit details, be aware that we can’t investigate every complaint. To make the best use of our resources, we focus on areas where there is evidence and where consumers will be most at risk.

Send in your complaint

You have a few options when you want to make a complaint (please note, we can’t investigate anonymous complaints).

You can:

  • call us on 139 333, or
  • complete the online form or download a Notification of Offence Form (PDF) and send to:
      • GPO Box 5099, Brisbane QLD 4001, or
      • deliver it to one of our offices, or
  • email us – please scan all documents and attach them to your email. We can only accept PDF documents and emails smaller than 8MB.

If you include any documents with the form, please send copies only.

Information we need

Regardless of whether you call us or fill out the form, we need the following information to start an investigation:

  • name of the unlicensed individual or entity
  • site address
  • description of works carried out
  • dates the offence was committed
  • some type of documented evidence – quotes, contracts, tax invoices, adverts, receipts, emails, text messages and photos of the subject work

Will the unlicensed contractor know who made the complaint?

We keep your personal details "in confidence". The unlicensed individual or entity does not see these details, but some information used in taking disciplinary action against an offender may show who has made the complaint. You may also be required to give evidence in court.