Disaster and recovery | Queensland Building and Construction Commission

QBCC licence and other fees are set by regulation and increase according to the Government Indexation Rate. For 2024-2025, the Government Indexation Rate is zero percent. Therefore there was no fee increase on 1 July 2024. 

Flood water

Prepare for a disaster

Natural disasters occur all across Queensland and can have lasting effects long after the event has passed. We have tips and fact sheets to help you prepare for and limit the possible damage to your building site in the event of a natural disaster.

By taking precautions on your building site, you can help avoid the risk of injury, damage and costs associated with natural disasters.

Storm and cyclone season preparation

You should prepare your building sites for potential severe weather conditions. You can help avoid the risk of injury, damage, and costs associated with storms and cyclones by taking precautions.
It's a good idea to:

  • remove all loose material and building rubbish from sites
  • secure all onsite scaffolding, planks and equipment
  • brace or fully core-fill concrete masonry walls
  • fully secure all metal roof cladding, gutters and flashing
  • raise and secure all material above known flood levels
  • secure any temporary structures, such as site offices and shipping containers
  • add extra bracing to frame areas that may have to resist high winds
  • provide adequate and compliant site drainage to avoid site flooding
  • close window openings to adequately protect all tongue-and-groove flooring and other timber features and furniture from wet weather
  • check that your insurance policies and coverage are up-to-date and sites and values are accurate
  • install protection or retaining walls to cut-and-fill sites to prevent the collapse of un-retained walls and soil runoff
  • don't leave stagnant water in buckets and other unsealed containers
  • return to the building site as soon as safe and practical to secure or address any dangerous or failed areas following weather events such as storms or high winds.

Building in disaster-prone areas

If you work in an area affected by natural disasters, the Queensland Government has developed guides to help build resilient homes in Queensland.

Get help during a disaster

Disaster contacts

Real time information

Rebuild after a disaster

The QBCC assists Queensland communities in recovering from natural disasters such as a bushfire, flood, cyclone or severe storm by providing technical and general advice on a wide range of rebuilding issues. After a disaster, there can be a lot of work to do. We provide some resources to help you when working on disaster-affected properties.

The Queensland Government has several factsheets that will help y...

The Queensland Government has several factsheets that will help you in the immediate aftermath of fire:

Queensland Government Disaster ManagementDepartment of Agricultur...
​​​​​​Building contracts to use after a natural disasterNatural d...

​​​​​​Building contracts to use after a natural disaster

Natural disaster repairs contract

You should use the Natural disaster repairs contract (PDF, 702KB) for repairs of any value to residential premises from a natural disaster. Don't use this contract for the construction or rebuilding of an entire home.

Demolition contract

You should use Demolition of residential premises contract (PDF, 347KB) for the demolition of residential premises. While you can use it for any home demolition, it should be particularly useful for work involving flood and cyclone damage.

Frequently asked questions

No. You will need a QBCC licence if you want to contract directly with property owners or licensed builders to do building work in Queensland. You can apply for a QBCC licence under the mutual recognition program.

The QBCC licence system protects the local industry from 'fly-by-night' operators undercutting prices and lowering work standards. This is particularly important after a natural disaster when there is an immediate demand for labour.

  • If you plan on contracting directly to property owners or a licensed builder to carry out building work, you need to hold a QBCC licence appropriate for the type of work.
  • If you are not contracting directly to property owners or licensed builders (for example, working for wages or as a sub-trade contractor), you do not need to hold a QBCC licence.
  • Suppliers or contractors involved in cleaning, carpet laying, and floor covering (except tiles or timber flooring) do not require a QBCC licence.
  • Electricians must be licensed with the Electrical Safety Office.
  • Asbestos removalists must hold a licence issued by Workplace Health and Safety for removing amounts of asbestos exceeding 10m². If you're removing less than 10m² of asbestos must be done as prescribed in the Workplace Health and Safety Regulation 2011.

Most of the work in a disaster area will be allocated by insurance companies. Contractors interested in working in the area should contact the major insurance companies. The QBCC does not link contractors to consumers.

In most cases, contractors licensed by the QBCC must purchase insurance on building work valued at more than $3,300. Find out more about Queensland Home Warranty Scheme.

Contractors may also take out more insurance such as public liability insurance and construction insurance. Even though these insurances are not compulsory, they are strongly recommended.

Working in home with asbestos

Asbestos removalists must hold a licence.

Asbestos safety clothing

Register for our local contractor directory

The QBCC's Find a local contractor tool is a free service that helps property owners and other contractors connect with QBCC-licensed contractors in their area. 

Find out how to register


Last reviewed: 5 Jan 2024 Last published: 5 Jan 2024
Back to top