Report a safety issue or incident | Queensland Building and Construction Commission

If you don't tell us about safety incidents straight away, we can't do the enquiries needed, making it harder for us to reduce unsafe work practices.

If you are a licensee looking after a building site or on a site carrying out work, you must notify the QBCC of a notifiable incident immediately. You may be subject to enforcement action if you don't notify us.


What is a notifiable incident?

A notifiable incident is either:

  • when someone dies or suffers serious illness or injury
  • an incident that exposes a person to a risk of serious injury or illness.

A serious injury or illness requires the person to have either:

  • immediate treatment as an inpatient in a hospital
  • immediate treatment for the amputation of a body part, serious head injury, serious eye injury, serious burns, separation of skin from underlying tissue, spinal injury, loss of a bodily function, or serious lacerations
  • medical treatment within 48 hours of exposure to a substance.

Who must report a safety incident?

A QBCC licensee who is in control of, or carrying out building work on a building site, must notify us if either:

  • a notifiable incident occurs on the site
  • a person on any site where they are carrying out building work fails to comply with a notice or injunction issued under the either the
    • Work Health and Safety Act 2011 (Part 10)
    • Electrical Safety Act 2002 (Part 11A).

If the QBCC licensee on site is a company, an officeholder or senior employee must notify the QBCC on the company's behalf.

How to report a safety incident

Licensees must notify the QBCC in the fastest way possible. This means taking action as soon as you see or hear about a safety incident on-site.

  1. You will need some important information before you contact us, including:

    • the time and date of the incident
    • the address of the incident
    • who is the QBCC licensee in control of the site
    • who was injured or breached the notice or injunction from Workplace Health and Safety Queensland or the Electrical Safety Office
    • was medical assistance required
    • why the incident occured
    • which other agencies (if any) have you notified of the incident.
  2. You can notify us by either:

    Report safety issue or incident

Unsure if a safety incident needs reporting?

If a safety incident has occurred and you are unsure if would be considered a notifiable incident, it is best to contact us to find out.

Give us a call on 139 333 straight away. We can let you know and help you lodge a notification if required.

Offence not to notify us

We take safety seriously. It is an offence under s54A of the Queensland Building and Construction Commission Act for a licensee not to notify us of an incident in the fastest way possible.

If you don't notify us of a safety incident you may be prosecuted.

Report to other regulators

You may also have to report the matter to other relevant regulators such as:

You should contact their office directly for more information about when you need to report to other regulators.

Safety incidents involving non-conforming building products

Learn more about what you need to do if a safety incident involves a non-conforming building product.

Report an NCBP or safety incident

Last reviewed: 30 Aug 2021 Last published: 30 Aug 2021
Back to top