Change your licence type
From time to time, your role in the industry may change. You may find that you prefer, or are required, to now hold a different type of licence in your existing class.
Apply and surrender process
We provide you the option to do the 2-step process in the one form:
- Apply for a new licence type in your existing class.
- Surrender the existing licence type in that class.
Step 1: Apply
This process allows you to apply for a new licence type for your existing class.
You will still need to demonstrate you meet all the relevant eligibility for the new licence type in your existing class.
If applying for a contractor-type licence you will need to demonstrate that you can meet minimum financial requirements with an MFR report or declaration.
Step 2: Surrender—optional
This process gives you the choice to also submit a request to surrender your current licence type. The QBCC will then consider this request and advise you of the decision.
Who is eligible for this process?
You can only use this process in certain scenarios.
To be eligible, you must hold a contractor or nominee supervisor type of licence and be applying for a different licence type in the same class. You can request to:
- to surrender a contractor-type licence and apply for a:
- nominee supervisor-type licence
- site supervisor-type licence
- occupational-type licence (available for fire protection and mechanical services only. Other licence classes would already have required you to hold an occupational licence as a contractor.)
- to surrender a nominee supervisor-type licence and apply for a:
- contractor-type licence
- site supervisor-type licence
- occupational-type licence
Example 1—contractor to nominee supervisor
You are acting as a nominee for a company. You no longer require an individual contractor-type licence as the company will now be responsible for undertaking contracts.
By surrendering your individual contractor licence and applying for a nominee supervisor licence you are no longer required to meet individual minimum financial requirements obligations for that class of licence.
Example 2—nominee supervisor to contractor
If you decide to begin personally contracting for work, you will be required to now hold a contractor-type licence.
You will need to demonstrate that you can meet minimum financial requirements to hold this licence type and have any relevant experience to do the work.
Who is not eligible for this process?
You are not able to use this process if applying:
- for a different licence type in a continuing licence class
- as a site supervisor licensee
- as an occupational licensee
- when applying for a new licence class.
For these scenarios, you need to follow the standard process as per a new licence application.
Likewise, you will need to follow the standard process to surrender your licence if you wish to then cancel an existing licence type.
When changing your licence-type, you will only have to pay the application fee—not the annual licence fee.
When your renewal date arrives, you will need to pay the full renewal fee for all the licence-types you hold in that class. (If you have chosen not to surrender the original licence-type.)
Set out below are the fees for each licence-type. If you are applying for a contractor-type licence the application fee is determined by your annual turnover (maximum revenue—MR) category.
Our fees and charges increase on 1 July each year. On 1 July 2022 our fees and charges were increased by 2.5% in line with Government’s indexation policy. You can contact us to find out details about specific fees, charges or prices.
You have the option of receiving a printed certificate stating which QBCC licence you hold. The certificates costs an additional $31.83 and can be selected on the application form.
Check the eligibility requirements for the licence type in the class you are applying for. This may include:
- technical qualifications
- financial requirements
- professional indemnity insurance.
Gather the supporting documents that demonstrate you meet the eligibility criteria.
If applying by mail, only provide us with certified copies of your original documents, as we cannot return them to you.
Download and complete:
To lodge your application you need to provide us with:
- the completed form
- all supporting documentation
- the application fee.
You can lodge the application:
- in person at a QBCC service centre and pay the fees by eftpos
- by mail — add credit or debit card details to the application form and post it to us with all supporting documentation.