Take out optional additional cover
Once the contractor has paid for the standard insurance premium, home owners can apply for the optional additional cover.
We offer home owners the option to increase their insurance cover from $200,000 to $300,000 by buying optional additional cover.
This increased cover includes a maximum of $10,000 for:
- alternative accommodation
- removal costs
- storage costs.
Home owner pays the additional cover
Once the contractor has paid for the standard insurance premium, you can apply for the optional additional cover. You must do this before the earlier of either:
- within 30 business days of entering the contract or
- before the work has started.
How to pay
You can do this online by following the steps below, or you can call us and buy optional additional cover over the phone.
Your builder must pay the QBCC the premium for standard cover. They must do this either:
- within 10 business days of the date the contract is signed
- before the work starts (whichever is earlier).
Once your builder has paid the standard insurance we will send you a:
- Notice of Cover
- tax invoice
- link to the Product disclosure booklet (PDF, 1MB)
- link to myQBCC, our digital service centre.
Follow the myQBCC link we send you in your Notice of Cover to buy additional cover.
You must do this either:
- within 30 business days after entering the contract
- before the work has started (whichever is earlier).
You cannot purchase this optional additional cover after this time.
The fee depends on the total value of the work (including labour, materials and GST).
You can preview the fee in the:
Premium tables for optional additional cover (PDF, 367KB)
We will email you to confirm your extra cover once payment is received.