Sell an owner builder property | Queensland Building and Construction Commission

SEQ flood recovery — tips for rebuilding and tradie register.


The law says that before the purchaser signs the contract of sale you must provide them with a notice which contains:

  • details of the building work performed
  • the name of the person (owner builder permit holder) who performed the work
  • a statement confirming the work was performed under an owner builder permit
  • the words — "Warning — the building work to which this notice relates is not covered by insurance under the Queensland Building and Construction Commission Act 1991".

You must give the prospective buyer two copies of this notice. They must sign one copy and return it to you (the vendor) on or before signing the contract of sale.

If you don't provide this notice to the prospective buyer the law assumes you have given a warranty that the building work was properly carried out and you may be liable for any building faults in future. We suggest you obtain legal advice if selling an owner-built home.

How to remove an owner builder notification from your property title

The owner builder administrative advice must remain on your title for 7 years. You can apply to remove this advice after this period.

Make your request in writing, including your permit number and the address where work was carried out.

Attach either:

  • an original or certified copy of your current Title Search or Registration Confirmation Statement (no more than 14 days old) from Titles Queensland
  • a copy of these documents emailed directly from them.

If the request is made by the owner builder permit holder this is a free service.

If a subsequent property owner makes the application, we pass on the cost of lodging the request with Titles Queensland.

You send this request:

Last reviewed: 30 Aug 2021 Last published: 30 Aug 2021
Back to top