SEQ flood recovery | Queensland Building and Construction Commission

SEQ flood recovery — tips for rebuilding and tradie register.

Aerial view of flooded homes in South East Queensland

For licensees


Clean up before you start work 

We urge all QBCC licensees who are engaged to work on a property that has been damaged by flooding or storms to ensure they take proper safety precautions before they get to work.

So, here are some key steps to restoring a house after flood damage:  

  • all services must be made safe before any remedial work begins and particularly where occupancy is required before finishing work commences 
  • flood debris should be cleared away as soon as possible so drying can start 
  • plinths (kickers) should be removed from beneath kitchen and bathroom cabinets to allow for proper drying 
  • if necessary, plasterboard linings should be partially removed to allow walls to dry out 
  • check for moisture content - no finishing work should be done until the moisture content of wall framing has dropped below 16 percent.

To help you in the initial clean up stage, we have developed a couple of checklists: 

Repairing a flood-damaged property 

It is essential the house is sufficiently dry before repair work is carried out.

Undertaking repairs to the structure and finishes before the house is properly dry can result in many problems down the track, including (but not limited to):

  • poor adhesion (blistering) of finishes
  • materials continuing to move as they finish drying, resulting in cracking
  • lifting and bubbling of vinyl floor coverings
  • health problems for occupants.

Also remember, timber absorbs water, so if you are working on a timber or timber-framed house there are further considerations to take into account before you start work. 

All reinstatement work must be carried out in accordance with the Building Code of Australia.

For more information read: 

Repair plumbing and drainage work

When repairing properties with damaged plumbing, it is important to identify if any permits are required prior to starting work, or if the work is notifiable work and needs to be registered with the QBCC.

Most plumbing and drainage work performed in existing buildings falls into one of 12 categories of notifiable work. If you are unsure, use our tool to find out if it is notifiable work.

Learn more about how and when to register notifiable work.

Sign up to our rebuild and recovery tradie register

Are you a contractor working in a flood or storm-affected region? Sign up to appear on the flood recovery register so property owners can find you. The register is open to: 

  • QBCC licensed contractors 
  • licensed asbestos removalists 
  • licensed electrical trades. 

Apply to join in just 2 easy steps:  

  1. Enter your details 
  2. Nominate the area/s in Queensland you are able to assist 

We will check your licence info and let you know as soon as your details appear on the register. 

Join now

For property owners


Getting started

In the aftermath of a flood, it is easy to feel overwhelmed and emotional at the thought of rebuilding, and not know where to start.

Here are some useful steps to help you get started:

  • put safety first, including using licensed contractors to make your electricity, gas, and plumbing safe
  • photograph everything before you move it or throw it away  (for insurance purposes, if you have it)
  • lodge a claim with insurance (if you have it)
  • wear safety gear and wash your hands thoroughly afterwards
  • sort into piles of what is safe to clean and keep, and what must go
  • make plans to repair the damage.

Some useful resources to get you started include:

Beginning the rebuild process

Here are some useful steps to help you get started with the rebuild phase of recovery:

Useful resources for beginning the rebuild process:

More resources and frequently asked questions can be found on the page:

Use licensed contractors to rebuild

We can help you rebuild or repair your property by connecting you with local licensed workers, as well as providing resources and advice.

We recommend choosing a QBCC licensed contractor to make repairs or to rebuild your home. This will mean you are covered by the Queensland Home Warranty Scheme and will have access to our dispute resolution service. 

Licensed contractors have proven qualifications and knowledge for the work they are licensed to do, which makes them the best choice to help you rebuild after a flood or storm.

Find a contractor

Find licensed contractors available for recovery work in your area by searching the:

Rebuild and Recovery Tradie Register

The register includes:

  • QBCC licensed contractors 
  • licensed asbestos removalists 
  • licensed electrical trades. 

    You can also search our other registers: 

    To find contractors not regulated by the QBCC such as electricians, asbestos removalists or demolishers, contact the specific regulatory bodies such as:

    Rebuild & recovery tradie register

    Connecting property owners with contractors for flood recovery.

    South East Queensland Floods

    Last reviewed: 9 Mar 2022 Last published: 9 Mar 2022
    Back to top