Make a complaint against a contractor

If you believe that a contractor is breaking the law and you have evidence, you can send in a complaint. You can lodge your complaint online or download the Notification of Offence Form (PDF).  Before you begin, see the ‘Complaints we don’t investigate’ page.

Also, be aware that we can’t investigate every complaint. To make the best use of our resources, we focus on areas where there is evidence and where consumers will be most at risk.

Time limits for complaints

The offender must be prosecuted within 3 years of committing the offence, or 2 years from the date QBCC first became aware of the offence (whichever is later).  To allow for investigation time, please make complaints within 2 years of the offence date.   

Making a complaint

Information we need

  1. Your details – We keep in touch with you during the investigation. If the offender is prosecuted you will be asked to make a statement and may be required to give evidence in court.

  2. Offender details – To take action we must locate the alleged offender. Other helpful information includes how you came in contact with the contractor, and details of any suspicious patterns of behaviour. 

  3. Site details – We use this to establish the location of any offence.

  4. Building work details – We use this information to determine the type of construction work being done and its value (i.e. exempt work, domestic or residential work). Also include a full list of payments made to the contractor and how and when they were paid. Bank statements would be considered evidence. In some instances we may require banking records to assist in determining a breach.Other evidence which may assist in identifying the alleged offender. 

Send in your complaint

You have a few options when you want to make a complaint (please note, we can’t investigate anonymous complaints).

You can:

  • call us on 139 333,
  • submit your complaint online -  you must submit your ONLINE form within 24 hours after entering your details.  Data on a saved form will be deleted after 24 hours. 
  • complete a Notification of Offence Form (PDF) and send to GPO Box 5099, Brisbane QLD 4001 or deliver it to one of our offices, or
  • email us – please scan all documents and attach them to your email. We can only accept PDF documents and emails smaller than 8MB.

If you include any documents with the form, please send copies only.

When will I know the result?

We try to investigate complaints quickly, but we can’t provide a timeframe due to the number of factors involved.

We’ll let you know the outcome of the investigation and if any enforcement action was taken. If we can’t take action, you can explore other legal options.

Your privacy

While we keep all information confidential, it may be subject to access under the Right to Information Act 2009.

Additionally, some information used to prosecute an offender may indicate the origin of the complaint.