Who needs to hold a QBCC licence?

In Queensland, individuals and companies must hold a QBCC licence to carry out:

  • any building work valued over $3,300
  • building work valued over $1,100 where it involves Hydraulic Services Design
  • building work of any value where it involves:
    • Drainage
    • Plumbing and Drainage
    • Gas Fitting
    • Termite Management – Chemical
    • Fire Protection
    • Completed Residential Building Inspection
    • Building Design – Low Rise, Medium Rise and Open
    • Site Classification.

Note: The value of building work includes all labour and material costs, regardless of who supplies the materials. 

Carrying out building work

A contractor is carrying out building work if they are:

  • personally carrying out the work
  • directly or indirectly causing the building work to be carried out
  • providing administration, advisory, management or supervisory services for building work, including:
    • entering into a contract or submitting a tender for building work
    • offering (quoting and tendering) to carry out building work
    • taking payment or arranging payment of subcontractors
    • arranging labour or arranging and conducting on-site meetings and inspections
    • preparing plans and specifications
    • coordinating the scheduling of work for building contractors even as an agent for another person
    • obtaining engineering or soil reports, or arranging for certificates from Local government to be issued etc
    • supervising building work
    • providing advice or a report for a building
    • contracting for work as a subcontractor to a builder.

Licence classes

The scope of work for each QBCC licence class outlines the range of building work for that class.