Apply for a Completed Residential Building Inspector licence

Before you apply

A completed residential building inspection licence will allow you to carry out inspections on completed residential buildings. This means that you can't inspect or certify buildings before or during construction.

Who can apply

A nominee supervisor can be an employee of a licensed contractor, or an employee, director or secretary of a licensed company, and must hold the same licence class as the licensed contractor.

How to apply

Fill out the Completed Residential Building Inspection Licence Application Form (PDF) and the Building and Designer Experience Form (PDF) providing:

  • details of 5 years' experience where you carried out work as a builder, building surveyor, assistant building surveyor or building surveyor technician. This could include coordination and onsite supervision of trade contractors and other disciplines, and should include any supporting documents. Please include the class, size, number of storeys and type of construction
  • documents showing you hold the technical qualifications required for the licence class (e.g. course certificate and a builder licence)
  • three referees (names and contact numbers) to confirm your experience
  • financial information that shows you meet QBCC's Minimum Financial Requirements. This includes proof of Professional Indemnity (PI) insurance cover in your name. Nominee Supervisor applicants don’t need to provide financial information
  • proof of identity (e.g. a certified copy of your driver’s licence or passport)
  • if contracting under a trading name – a current copy of your Record of Registration from the Australian Securities and Investment Commission(ASIC)
  • if contracting under a partnership – proof of the business partnership, or an original or certified copy of the Statutory Declaration for a Partnership Agreement (PDF).

If you already hold a QBCC licence

If you are applying for an additional licence class, you don’t need to provide a copy of any supporting documentation you’ve previously given us, unless you need to update that information (e.g. proof of identity, trading name or financial information).

What are the fees?

The fee is determined by your revenue and there are different financial categories:

  • Supervisor – financial information is not required
  • SC1 – $200,000 Declaration or Estimated Maximum Revenue declaration (Maximum Revenue up to $200,000)
  • SC2 – $800,000 Declaration or Estimated Maximum Revenue declaration (Maximum Revenue up to $800,000)
  • Category 1–7 - MFR Report

Check the current licence application fees.

Re-applying for a licence

If you've previously held a licence and you want to re-apply, find out about your options - Renew, update or surrender your licence

How to lodge your application

Lodge your completed application form with the supporting documents and correct application fee:

  • by post, to GPO Box 5099, Brisbane QLD 4001 (please provide copies of original documents only, unless we request otherwise)
  • in person at your nearest QBCC office.

How long will it take to be processed?

We will take approximately 6–8 weeks to process your application. This includes checks to confirm you are a fit and proper person to hold a licence.

After you've applied

If your licence is approved, you'll receive a letter with your licence number and scope of work for the licence class.


  • Can I start work before my licence is approved?

    • No. Carrying out inspections before you get a licence is unlicensed contracting.
  • What if I hold a licence in another state?