Pool safety inspector
Scope of work
- inspect a pool and issue a pool safety certificate or non-conformity notice
- review and approve pool safety management plans for class 3 buildings
- act as a consultant to advise a property owner about pool safety, their fence or barrier
- do minor repairs, e.g. adjusting or replacing a latch or hinges and removing climbable objects
- erect, repair, replace or adjust a maximum of 5 metres and no more than 6 posts of a pool safety barrier.
As well as the eligibility requirements listed for each licence-type, you need to provide:
- evidence you are fit and proper to operate
- photographic proof of your identity
- evidence you have permission to work in Queensland (citizen, visa, Immicard)
- evidence of your company structure or trading name—where relevant
- partnership agreement or Statutory declaration for partnership (PDF, 503KB)—where relevant.
To hold this licence you need to:
- hold a Statement of Attainment in 11067NAT Course in Swimming Pool Safety Inspections (not required for licensed building certifier applications); and
- show evidence of passing the pool safety inspector test NAT11067001 Conduct a Pool Safety Inspection (not required for licensed building certifier applicants)
- hold a Statement of Attainment in 10660NAT Course in Swimming Pool Safety Inspections (not required for licensed building certifier applications); and
- show evidence of passing the pool safety inspector test PSIREG001 Conduct a Pool Safety Inspection (not required for licensed building certifier applicants).
Visit My Skills – Australia’s Training Directory for a list of Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) who deliver the course.
You must demonstrate you have professional indemnity (PI) insurance to apply for a PSI licence. This can be demonstrated by providing a copy of the certificate of currency (or schedule of insurance) with:
- Pool Safety Inspections in the business description
- minimum cover of $1,000,000 per pool safety inspector
- a completed Professional indemnity insurance declaration (PDF, 36.72KB) stating the company name of the PI holder—if relevant. (This is required if the company holds the PI insurance on behalf of the individual licensee).
Listed below are the fees for new licence applications and other costs for maintaining a PSI licence.
Our fees and charges increase on 1 July each year. On 1 July 2023 our fees and charges were increased in line with legislative requirements. You can contact us to find out details about specific fees, charges or prices.
How to apply
Review both the general eligibility requirements and the specific qualifications for PSI licence. Gather the supporting documents that demonstrate you meet the criteria.
If applying by mail, only provide us with certified copies of your original documents, as we cannot return them to you.
Download and complete:
To lodge your application you need to provide us with:
- the completed form
- all supporting documentation
- the application fee.
You can lodge the application:
Allow up to 8 weeks for QBCC to process your application. This includes checks to confirm you are a fit and proper person to hold a licence.
If your licence is approved, we’ll post you your printed licence card and licence letter, which includes your licence number and scope of work for the licence class.
You have 12 months to complete CPD activity for next renewal and provide current indemnity insurance at this time (please provide cpd and pi insurance links here).
If your application is unsuccessful we will refund you the licence fee, however we will retain the cost of processing the application.