Note: If you are supervising or performing regulated drainage work, you must hold an occupational drainers licence under the Plumbing and Drainage Act 2018. For more information please see drainer - occupational.

Scope of work

  • Install, commission, maintain and test above and below ground waste water, stormwater and sanitary drainage systems including on-site domestic waste water management systems
  • Prepare plans and specifications for drainage work that are:
    • for the licensee's personal use, or
    • for use in drainage work to be performed by the licensee personally
  • Incidental work of another class.

Qualifications required

Please see Technical Qualifications for Licensing (PDF).

Managerial course

Completion of the approved managerial course.

Note: Completion of the course Establish legal and risk management requirements of small business BSBSMB401, which is one of the required courses in the Certificate IV Plumbing and Services, will meet this requirement.

Financial requirements

The relevant financial requirements in the minimum financial requirements policy.

Licence types

You can apply for this licence class as a:

Registered Training Organisations (RTOs)

Registered Training Organisations issue formal qualifications to people who successfully complete training. Please note that the RTO list is a guide only and subject to change. We strive to ensure that the information contained is accurate and up-to-date. Other qualifications can be:

  • apprenticeship papers
  • documentation showing you successfully completed the appropriate course for this licence class
  • documentation showing you successfully completed an equivalent course for this licence class (e.g. similar modules)
  • recognition certificate
  • a qualification of statement of attainment of the required competency issued by an approved authority for the licence class.

Recognition of prior learning

If you do not hold a formal technical qualification you may be able to obtain it through recognition of prior learning (RPL) through a Registered Training Organisation (RTO). The following RTO may be able to provide RPL services for this licence class.

TAFE Queensland
More than 50 locations across the state
1300 308 233

Apply or enquire online