Mechanical services licences

Apply for a Mechanical Services - Medical Gas licence

Do you need a Mechanical Services – Medical Gas licence?

For information about the work performed under the Mechanical Service – Medical Gas licence refer to the scope of works below:

The following fact sheets provide information about what is and is not mechanical services – medical gas work:

What licence type do you need?

The QBCC licence type you require is determined by the type of work you need to perform. All mechanical services – medical gas work requires a licence.

QBCC licence types available for mechanical services – plumbing work are listed below. The work allowed under each licence type is outlined under each heading:


  • Company operation  

Example: Trading company

Contractors can:

  • Personally perform work
  • Supervise work
  • Contract for work
  • Be nominee for a company

Example: Individual or company contracting with the public

Occupational licensees can:

  • Personally perform work
  • Supervise work

Example: Employee of a company

Nominee Supervisors can:

  • Supervise work
  • Be nominee for a company

Example: Employee of a company

Site Supervisors can:

  • Supervise work

Example: Employee of a company

Note: When applying for a company licence, you must nominate a nominee supervisor who is licensed for the same scope of work. For more information read our factsheet  Companies and licensing (PDF).

How to apply

All licensing applications require proof of identity and evidence of your technical qualifications. 

Visit the Technical qualifications and experience for Mechanical Services – Medical Gas licence fact sheet to check if you have the required technical qualifications.

For more information about the documents needed to support an application for each licence type use the  Journey fact sheet for mechanical services - medical gas (PDF).

For examples of the experience required use the Mechanical Services – Medical Gas Experience fact sheet (PDF)

More information about the transitional arrangements are available on the Transitional Arrangements for Mechanical Services – Medical Gas licence webpage.

How to lodge your application

Did you know you can lodge your application form online with myQBCC? If you’re an existing licensee user of myQBCC, applicable fee exemptions will be automatically calculated when you lodge online.


For more information, see  myQBCC Mechanical services licence application user guide (PDF)

Alternatively, you can complete an application form and include all the supporting documents and correct application fee by completing the appropriate PDF form/s:

If you completed a PDF form, you can lodge:

  • By post: to GPO Box 5099, Brisbane QLD 4001 (please don’t send in original documents, such as qualifications, unless we request them)
  • In person: at your  nearest QBCC Office

What are the fees?

Please note: Fee waivers may apply. Please refer to  Transitional arrangements for Mechanical services – medical gas work.

Licence fees vary depending on what type of licence you are applying for. For contactors, fees vary depending on whether you are applying for an individual or a company licence.

Nominee Supervisor, Site Supervisor and Occupational licence fees are a set fee.

Licence fee information is available on the  Licence Fees page.

How long will it take to be processed?

We will take up to 6-8 weeks to process your application. This includes checks to confirm you are a  fit and proper person to hold a licence. 

For contractors, this includes time to assess your ability to meet the Minimum Financial Requirements. 

We will contact you if we need any further information.

After you've applied

If your licence is approved, you'll receive a letter, which includes your licence number and scope of work for the licence class.