Fire Hydrants and Hose Reels
Changes to the fire protection licensing framework came into effect on 1 May 2021.
Most existing fire hydrants, hose reels and pumps licenses have transitioned to the new water-based stream (with the exception of fire hydrants and hose reels - inspect and test which transitioned to the new portables stream. The below information is for historical purposes only and is no longer current.
Scope of work
- Certify, inspect and test fire hydrants and hose reels.
2. Install and Maintain
- Install and maintain fire hydrants and hose reels.
Note: Install and Maintain licences include the ability to Inspect and Test.
3. Inspect and Test
- Inspect and test fire hydrants and hose reels.
Completion of the approved managerial course.
- the licence class scope of work, or
- other work the commission is satisfied is at least equivalent to experience in the scope of work for the class.
The relevant financial requirements in the bfinancial requirements policy.
You can apply for this licence class as a:
- Interstate Applicants – may be eligible to obtain a licence through mutual recognition
- Overseas Applicants – may have to have an overseas qualification assessed for equivalency prior to applying.
Professional Indemnity Insurance
Professional Indemnity Insurance is required for this licence class.
Registered Training Organisations (RTOs)
Registered Training Organisations issue formal qualifications to people who successfully complete training. Please note that the RTO list is a guide only and subject to change. We strive to ensure that the information contained is accurate and up-to-date.
Other qualifications can be:
- apprenticeship papers
- documentation showing you successfully completed the appropriate course for this licence class
- documentation showing you successfully completed an equivalent course for this licence class (e.g. similar modules)
- recognition certificate
- a qualification of statement of attainment of the required competency issued by an approved authority for the licence class.
Recognition of prior learning
If you do not hold a formal technical qualification, you may be able to obtain it through recognition of prior learning (RPL) by a Registered Training Organisation (RTO). The following RTOs may be able to provide RPL services for the restricted licence classes listed above:
- FPIB(Q) (Accreditations)
- The Service Trades College Australia
Inspect and test
- Fire Skills Pty Ltd
- Firefox Training and Compliancy Consultants
- The Service Trade College Australia