To hold a licence, you need to demonstrate that you have the trade skills to perform the scope of work relevant your licence class.
The required technical qualifications for each class of licence is specified in under the Queensland Building and Construction Commission Regulation 2018.
How to demonstrate
You can meet the technical requirements for a QBCC licence by providing one or a combination of the following (depending upon the requirements for each class of licence):
- You can present a copy of your trade papers that are provided to you on completion of your apprenticeship.
- documentation showing you successfully completed the appropriate course for this licence class
- documentation showing you successfully completed an equivalent course for this licence class (e.g. similar modules).
- a qualification of statement of attainment of the required competency issued by an approved authority for the licence class.
- recognition certificate to demonstrate prior learning (RPL) through a registered training organisation.
If you need to apply for a QBCC licence but don’t hold the required technical qualifications (e.g. apprenticeship papers or course completion papers) you may be able to use Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). An RPL assessment can only be conducted out for a training product (i.e. a unit of competency or training course) and cannot be conducted for an apprenticeship or traineeship.
If you already have a qualification, but it’s not the exact qualification you need for the licence class you want, you can apply for an equivalency assessment.
You can do this through Registered Training Organisations (RTOs). They assess your skills, knowledge and experience, and compare your qualification with the one you need for your licence class.
They’ll also advise about any other requirements you may need. Once you meet the requirements, you'll be given an equivalent qualification which you can then use to apply for a licence.
Contact a RTO to find out more information about your options.
- Apply for a licence
- Available licences
- Mechanical services licences
- Mechanical services—plumbing
- Mechanical services—plumbing occupational
- Mechanical services—air-conditioning & refrigeration (unlimited design)
- Mechanical services—air-conditioning & refrigeration (limited design)
- Mechanical services—air-conditioning & refrigeration occupational
- Mechanical services—medical gas
- Mechanical services—medical gas occupational
- Fire protection licences
- Passive—install & maintain—doors
- Passive—install & maintain—collars
- Passive—install & maintain—walls
- Passive—inspect & test
- Special hazard fire system—certify
- Special hazard fire system—install & maintain
- Water-based fire system—design
- Water-based fire system—certify
- Water-based fire system—install & maintain
- Water-based fire system—install & maintain—commercial
- Water-based fire system—install & maintain—domestic
- Portable—install & maintain
- Electrical—design—fire alarm systems
- Electrical—certify—fire alarm systems
- Electrical—certify—emergency lighting
- Electrical—install & maintain—fire alarm systems
- Electrical—inspect and test—emergency lighting
- Fire safety professional
- All other trade licences
- Air handling duct installation
- Brick & segmental paving
- Bricklaying and blocklaying
- Cabinet making
- Floor finishing and covering (hard sector)
- Foundation work (piling & anchors)
- Glass, glazing & aluminium
- Metal fascias and gutters
- Metal fabrication and erection—structural
- Metal fabrication and installation—non-structural
- Painting & decorating
- Plastering drywall
- Plastering solid
- Roof and wall cladding
- Roof tiling
- Site classifier
- Sheds, carports and garages
- Shopfitting (trade)
- Steel fixing
- Structural landscaping (trade)
- Swimming pool construction, installation and maintenance
- Termite management—chemical
- Termite management—physical
- Wall and floor tiling
- Company, partnership, trust
- Interstate, overseas applicants