Apply for a licence
Apply for a builder licence
Before you apply
See the builder scopes of work to find out the requirements for the different types of licence.
How to apply
- details of 2 or 4 years' experience (number of years is based on your qualifications) where you carried out building work covered in the relevant scope of work. This should show you have undertaken building work and/or your coordination and onsite supervision of trade contractors and other disciplines, and should include any supporting documents. Please include the class, size, number of storeys and type of construction. For more information, see Builder Experience - Low Rise (PDF) or Builder Experience - Medium Rise (PDF) or Builder Experience - Open (PDF)
- documents showing you hold the technical qualifications required for the licence class (e.g. apprenticeship, skills recognition, or formal qualification documents). If you don’t hold the technical qualification please refer to Recognition of Prior Learning for further information
- written references which include confirmation of your supervisory experience
- financial information that shows you meet the minimum financial requirements
- proof of identity (e.g. certified copy of your driver’s licence or passport)
- if contracting under a trading name – a current copy of your Record of Registration from Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC)
- if contracting under a partnership – proof of the business partnership, or an original or certified copy of QBCC’s Statutory Declaration for Partnership Agreement (PDF) if you already hold a QBCC licence.
If you already hold a QBCC licence
If you are applying for an additional licence class, you don’t need to provide a copy of any supporting documentation you’ve previously given QBCC, unless you need to update that information (e.g. proof of identity, trading name or financial information).
Re-applying for a licence
If you've previously held a licence and you want to re-apply, find out about your options - Renew, update or surrender your licence
What are the fees?
The fee is determined by your revenue and there are different financial categories:
- Supervisor – financial information is not required
- SC2 – $800,000 Declaration or Estimated Maximum Revenue declaration (Maximum Revenue up to $800,000)
- Category 1–7 - MFR Report
Check the current licence application fees (on application form).
How to lodge your application
Lodge your completed application form with the supporting documents and application fee:
- by post, to GPO Box 5099, Brisbane QLD 4001 (please provide copies of original documents unless we request otherwise)
- in person at your nearest QBCC office.
How long will it take to be processed?
We take approximately 6–8 weeks to process your application, however more complex applications can take up to 12 weeks. This includes checks to confirm you are a fit and proper person to hold a QBCC licence. We will contact you if we need any further information.
After you've applied
If your licence is approved you'll receive a letter with your licence number and scope of work for the licence class.
Can I start work before my licence is approved?
No. Carrying out building work or providing quotes or tenders before you get your licence is unlicensed contracting.
What if I hold a licence in another state?
You may be entitled to use the mutual recognition process to apply.