Apply for a company licence

Before you apply

If your company enters into a contract to do building work under a company name (e.g. signs a contract under a Pty Ltd), it must have a QBCC licence as it can't use the licence number of an employee or licensed director.

We are unable to issue a licence to a trust, but a company or a person acting as trustee for a trust could apply for a QBCC licence.

How to apply

Fill out the Company Licence Application Form (PDF) providing:

  • details of the nominee who will be responsible for the supervision of building work done by the company.The nominee supervisor must be an officer or employee of the company. Note: where a company elects to employ a person with a nominee supervisor licence and that person is casual, or already a nominee for two or more other companies, or lives more than 300 kilometers from the work, the applicant will be requested to provide a suitable supervision management plan to demonstrate how the nominee and the company will adequately supervise the building work to the level required. We will investigate where there are arrangements that appear to be licence lending by nominee supervisors.
  • a current (no older than 30 days) Historical Company Extract (PDF) confirming the company is registered with the Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC) with a unique Australian Company Number (ACN). 
  • financial information which shows the company meets QBCC’s Minimum Financial Requirements 
    • Companies applying for a licence in: Building Design Low Rise/Medium Rise or Open, Builder Project Management Services, Hydraulic Services Design, or Site Classifier may not need to provide financial information. See Who is exempt from financial reporting for more information
  • proof of identity for at least 1 director (e.g. a certified copy of their driver’s licence or passport)
  • if contracting under a trading name – a current copy of the Record of Registration from the Australian Securities and Investment Commission
  • if contracting under a partnership – proof of the business partnership, or an original or certified copy of the Statutory Declaration for a Partnership (PDF).

What are the fees?

The fee is determined by your revenue and there are different financial categories:

  • Supervisor – financial information is not required
  • SC1 – $200,000 Declaration or Estimated Maximum Revenue declaration (Maximum Revenue up to $200,000) (this option is available to trade contractors only)
  • SC2 – $800,000 Declaration or Estimated Maximum Revenue declaration (Maximum Revenue up to $800,000)
  • Category 1–7 - MFR Report

Check the current licence application fees.

Re-applying for a licence

If you've previously held a licence and you want to re-apply, find out about your options - Renew, update or surrender your licence

How to lodge your application

Lodge your completed application form with the supporting documents and application fee:

  • by post, to GPO Box 5099, Brisbane QLD 4001 (please provide copies of original documents unless we request otherwise)
  • in person at your nearest QBCC office.

How long will it take to be processed?

We will take approximately 6–8 weeks to process your application. This includes checks to confirm whether the director(s) or any person(s) in a position of control is a fit and proper person to hold a licence.

After you've applied

If your licence is approved you'll receive a letter with your licence number and scope of work for the licence class.


  • Can the company start work before the licence is approved?

    • No. Doing building work or providing quotes or tenders before you get your licence is unlicensed contracting.