Apply for a trade contractor licence

Before you apply

See the trade contractor scopes of work to view the requirements of each licence class.

How to apply

If you are applying for a Mechanical Services licence, please refer to the mechanical services pages for the application form and documentation requirements.

To apply for a contractor licence in all other licence classes, please fill out the Trade Contractors Licence Application Form (PDF), providing:

Additional licence class application

  • you don’t have to complete another managerial course if you hold a contractor or nominee supervisor licence, and you are applying for an additional licence class
  • if you hold a site supervisor or fire occupational licence and you are applying for a trade contractor or nominee supervisor licence, you must complete the managerial course.

Re-applying for a licence

If you've previously held a licence and you want to re-apply or your licence is suspended, find out about your options - Renew, update or surrender your licence.

If your QBCC licence is cancelled and you are reapplying, you must meet the current licensing requirements. You may need to complete a new managerial course to gain your licence and we will review the content of your original course to see if it meets the current standards.

Other acceptable qualifications

You may already hold a qualification that is acceptable. Check with your nearest QBCC office about other acceptable qualifications.

What are the fees?

The fee is determined by your revenue and there are different financial categories:

Check the current licence application fees.

How to lodge your application

Lodge your completed application form, along with all the supporting documents and correct application fee:

  • by post, to GPO Box 5099, Brisbane QLD 4001 (please don’t send in original documents, such as qualifications, unless we request them)
  • in person at your nearest QBCC Office

How long will it take to be processed?

We will take approximately 6-8 weeks to process your application. This includes checks to confirm you are a fit and proper person to hold a licence.

After you've applied

If your licence is approved, you'll receive a letter, which includes your licence number and scope of work for the licence class.


  • Can I start work before my licence is granted?

    • No. Doing building work or providing quotes or tenders before you get your licence is unlicensed contracting.
  • What if I hold a licence in another state?