Mechanical services licences
About new mechanical services licences
- From 1 January 2020, mechanical services licences were introduced for mechanical services work of any value. The new licensing framework will be implemented in stages
- From 1 July 2020, contractors must be licensed to carry out mechanical services work
- From 1 January 2022, all workers must be licensed to carry out mechanical services work.
Your circumstances will determine your pathway to obtain the licence you need. Below is a timeline that shows the transitional licensing timeframes.
Definition of mechanical services work
Mechanical services work involves the construction, installation, replacement, repair, alteration, maintenance, testing or commissioning of a mechanical heating or cooling system in commercial and residential buildings, for example air conditioning, refrigeration and air handling systems.
Mechanical services work also includes work on medical gas systems found in hospitals and other health services such as dental facilities.
These systems contribute to the overall health and safety of the community and can have fatal consequences if incorrectly installed or maintained.
What isn’t included
Mechanical services work does not include:
- gas work regulated under the Petroleum and Gas (Production and Safety) Act 2004
- any treatment of cooling water
- connecting or disconnecting a system from a water supply other than disconnecting a system from a water supply at an isolating valve adjacent to a mechanical component of that system
- design work that is a professional engineering service under the Professional Engineers Act 2002
- manufacturing of pipe or ducting or components manufactured off-site
- installing a single head split system
- installing ductwork and enclosures for air conditioning, air handling and mechanical ventilation systems
- mechanical services work on a class 1a (detached dwelling) or class 10 (sheds, garages) building
- mechanical services work on buildings located on certain land (refer to schedule 1A of the amendment regulation).
Applying for a mechanical services licence
Click to explore the different timeframes and application requirements for each mechanical licence stream.