Mechanical services licences
Apply for a Mechanical Services - Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration licence
Do you need a Mechanical Services – Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration licence?
For information about the work performed under the Mechanical Service – Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration licence refer to the scope of works below:
- Mechanical Services - Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration (Unlimited Design) licence - Applicable for contractor, nominee supervisor, site supervisor and company licences
- Mechanical Services - Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration (Limited Design) licence - Applicable for contractor, nominee supervisor, site supervisor and company licences
- Mechanical Services - Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration occupational licence - Applicable for occupational licence only
The following fact sheets provide information about what is and is not mechanical services – air-conditioning and refrigeration work:
- Mechanical services - exemptions from licensing requirements (PDF)
- Mechanical Services – Air-conditioning and Refrigeration Licence Reference Guide (PDF)
What licence type do you need?
The QBCC licence type you require is determined by the type of work you need to perform. All mechanical services - air-conditioning and refrigeration work requires a licence.
We offer four types of licence to cover different roles and responsibilities in the building industry. You can choose the licence type that suits you. You must ensure that you only carry out building work covered by your licence type.
|Be a nominee
for a building company
|Enter into contracts
for building work
Please note, a company licence is required to operate as a company. When applying for a company licence, you must nominate a nominee supervisor who is licensed for the same scope of work. For more information read our factsheet Companies and licensing (PDF).
How to apply
All licensing applications require proof of identity and evidence of your technical qualifications.
Details of the required technical qualifications can be found on the following fact sheets:
- Technical qualifications and experience for Mechanical Services – Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration (Unlimited) licence (PDF)
- Technical qualifications and experience for Mechanical Services – Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration (Limited) licence (PDF)
- Technical qualifications and experience for Mechanical Services – Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration (Occupational) licence (PDF)
For more information about the documents needed to support an application for each licence type use the Journey fact sheet for mechanical services - air-conditioning and refrigeration (PDF).
You may be able to apply for a government subsidy
Applicants for a Mechanical Services – Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration (Limited Design) or the Mechanical Services – Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration (Occupational) licence may be eligible for a State Government subsidy for the required technical qualifications:
- Certificate III in Engineering – Mechanical Trade (MEM30205)
- Certificate III in Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration (UEE32211)
For details of the Trade Skills Assessment and Gap Training (TSAGT) Program visit the Department of Employment, Small Business and Training website.
How to lodge your application
Did you know you can lodge your application form online with myQBCC? If you’re an existing licensee user of myQBCC, applicable fees will be automatically calculated when you lodge online by 1 July 2020.
For more information, see myQBCC Mechanical services licence application user guide (PDF)
Alternatively, you can complete an application form and include all the supporting documents and correct application fee by completing the appropriate PDF form/s:
- Individual contractor/nominee supervisor licence application (PDF)
- Company licence application (PDF) (if applicable)
- Fire or Mechanical Services Air-conditioning & Refrigeration Occupational (PDF)
If you completed a PDF form, you can lodge:
- By post: to GPO Box 5099, Brisbane QLD 4001 (please don’t send in original documents, such as qualifications, unless we request them)
- In person: at your nearest QBCC Office
What are the fees?
Licence fees vary depending on what type of licence you are applying for. For contactors, fees vary depending on whether you are applying for an individual or a company licence, and the financial category you are applying for.
Nominee Supervisor, Site Supervisor and Occupational licences require a set fee.
Licence fee information is available on the Licence Fees page.
How long will it take to be processed?
We will take up to 6-8 weeks to process your application. This includes checks to confirm you are a fit and proper person to hold a licence.
For contractors, this includes time to assess your ability to meet the Minimum Financial Requirements.
We will contact you if we need any further information.
After you've applied
If your licence is approved, you'll receive a letter, which includes your licence number and scope of work for the licence class.
Can I work while my application is being processed?
If you have applied for a Contractor or Nominee Supervisor licence, you cannot lawfully work until your licence is granted.
Site Supervisors and Occupational applicants do not need to hold a licence until 1 January 2022 as long as they are working for a licensed contractor or company.